Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Another "Cooper Effec...

[x] Another "Cooper Effect" question...

bgzimmer ยท 1 reply

[x] Another "Cooper Effect" question...
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Aug 17, 2005 - 5:42am
What's the ruling if a band uses a name derived from the name of its leader, but the difference between the names is actually very minor? I'm thinking of PJ Harvey, which was the name of a band consisting of Polly (Jean) Harvey, Robert Ellis, and Steve Vaughan. While the trio was together, Harvey insisted that "PJ Harvey" was the name of the band and her name was Polly, not PJ. After two albums she split up with Ellis and Vaughan, but then she continued to release albums under the name PJ Harvey. So under the Cooper rule, do those first two albums count as albums by the band PJ Harvey? (This is something of a moot point, since as far as I know none of the band members connect to the network.)

Edited to add: I just read the announcement about the imminent inclusion of solo artists, so that muddies the PJ Harvey question even further...
Cooper Effect
Mark
18 years ago
Aug 18, 2005 - 4:09pm
Given this information, it seems that the band PJ Harvey would be eligible for inclusion as a band for the first two albums. One could argue that the Cooper Effect isn't even necessary because the band name differed from the name she took as a member on the band's albums. But we could always fall back on the Cooper Effect if necessary.

The later albums sound like solo albums on which she called herself PJ Harvey.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005