Forums / Research / Sandbox sadness

Sandbox sadness

Matt Westwood · 8 replies

Sandbox sadness
Matt Westwood
3 years ago
Apr 15, 2021 - 1:28pm
Because of my technique for getting stuff in (post up things I like and then branching out from there to find a link to the DB) I've got a fair amount of stuff in my sandbox. I went through a few days ago and cleared some of the things in there, by means of gradually attaching links till something eventually linked up, but there is a good deal of stuff out there which I haven't managed to link in yet.

Might this be an opportunity to give everyone a heads-up as to which bands or artists they've got in their sandboxes which are being really difficult to link up?

I remember when (back at the start of this game) I thought "Trees" was going to be unlinkable, and goodness me, it's in 40-50% and a skip away from Ginger Baker.

Probably find the same will happen to a lot of the stuff I have here.
[ ] Original Downtown Syncopators
Matt Westwood
3 years ago
Apr 15, 2021 - 1:28pm
···
Bloopy
3 years ago
Apr 16, 2021 - 8:48am
No luck at all with that starter. Next one?

Think I've suggested before that it'd be great if we could find each other's sandbox entries easily. I tried to keep a rule of only starting one sandbox shrub at a time and only if there's a promising band connection or two. Still, it's by way of a few miracles that all my entries currently have a way out developing on their horizon.
···
Matt Westwood
3 years ago
Apr 16, 2021 - 10:57am
For me, sandbox entries tend to grow when:

a) I post up a collab with someone so far unlinked. Sometimes challenging getting the collaborator to join, and entire music scenes have been explored as a result (case in point being the Greek prog 70s scene which came as a result of my investigating a collab with Arild Anderson or John Etheridge or someone like that.

b) I find one of the bands I'm exploring has a track on a fascinating compilation / sampler etc. which just *has* to be investigated, e.g. The Honky Tonk Demos on which some early Dire Straits is documented. Currently trying to link everything in from a Finnish avant garde jazz compilation, some of whose entries are taking the pretty route to getting linked in.

They usually get there in the end. On the occasion not, then you never know what may happen in the future. Remember when Kate Bush released her Before The Dawn live collection under the name The K Fellowship, and the floodgate holding back the rest of her recorded material suddenly burst asunder.
[ ] Unicorn
Matt Westwood
3 years ago
Apr 16, 2021 - 12:01pm
[www.bandtoband.com]

This has been hanging around since 2006. Never was able to link them in.
[x] Jim Steinman
Matt Westwood
3 years ago
Apr 21, 2021 - 1:56pm
I gather I'm a little late to the party here. Just queued up Jim Steinman, via Pandora's Box -- oh good, they connect via Musique ... only to discover that the latter have already been queued up by bgzimmer and are sitting dolefully in the sandbox.
···
AdamJ
3 years ago
Apr 22, 2021 - 5:32pm
Not near my notes of potential entries, but I think you can link Musique with Jocelyn Brown to a group called Inner Life. Listed as a primary musician on there first album is Ken Mazur in our database. I won't be able to verify my notes for a few days, but be my guest to check it out! I never made the Inner Life entry because of back of album scan in Discord not 100% clear. Hope it is as I remember.
Superb!
Matt Westwood
3 years ago
Apr 22, 2021 - 9:29pm
And as if by magic, Jim Steinman is unsandboxed and overdue for inclusion in b2b.
Forced Entry and Alyson Hell
Matt Westwood
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021 - 12:08pm
The above couple of entries in misterpomp's queue have just been unsandboxed.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005