Opeth

Python · 3 replies

Opeth
Python
12 years ago
Sep 19, 2011 - 3:32pm
I'm unable to determine whether Joakim Svalberg is a member on the new Opeth album "Heritage".

Svalberg is the new keyboard player in Opeth, replacing Per Wiberg. Per Wiberg was still an official member during the recording session of the album. He's also pictured on the cover of the album. Shortly after the recordings were over the band announced that they had parted ways with Wiberg and that Svalberg would be replacing him.

So far no problem.

However, it seems that Svalberg did perform on the album. He played grand piano on the title track. After a couple of listening sessions, I'm pretty sure that piano is the only instrument that can be heard on that track. This implies that Svalberg is the only musician performing that song. According to the booklet, all songs were written by Ackerfeldt. So unless the song "Heritage" is considered to be an intro and unless Ackerfeldt doesn't consider an intro to be a song, he wrote it. Now if that is the case, and Svalberg wasn't a member when he performed the song in the studio, we have a song on an album which has no band members performing on it. Is that even possible?

I know that quite a few albums contain intros or pieces of dialogue as separate tracks, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a full song (it's over two minutes long).

This interview with Ackerfeldt [metalfan.nl] says
Op Graspop speelden jullie met de nieuwe keyboard speler, Joakim Svalberg, de vervanger van Per Wiberg. Hoe past hij in het team?

Goed! De eerste keer dat ik hem hoorde spelen was tijdens de opname van het eerste nummer van Heritage. We hebben geen auditities gehad, ik had een biertje met hem gedronken en vroeg waar hij naar luisterde. "Edgar Winter". Oké, cool.

Which more or less means
"On Graspop you played with new keyboard player Svalberg, Wiberg's replacement. How does he fit in the team?"
"Very well. The first time I heard him play was during the recording of the first song off Heritage. We didn't have an audition. We had a beer together and I asked him what he was listening to. 'Edgar Winger'. 'Cool'"

I'm not sure if that means he became a band member during the sessions or not. Should the possible member-less song affect our decision to include him as a member? Anyone?
···
Jasoon
12 years ago
Sep 19, 2011 - 4:16pm
There are at least a few sites that say he wasn't an official member at the time he recorded.

[www.metalcallout.com]
"It’s been reported that Opeth has been rehearsing with Yngwie Walmsteen/Glenn Hughes keyboardist Joakim Svalberg for the tour and possibly inclusion in the band but there’s been no official announcement from the band regarding his status."

[www.thegauntlet.com]
"A photo has surfaced of Opeth in the studio mixing the upcoming album 'Heritage'. With the band is non other than Joakim Svalberg (Yngwie Malmsteen, Glenn Hughes). Although nothing has been announced by the band or Roadrunner Records we have been told that Joakim worked on the album following the departure of Per Wiberg but he has not been made an official member of the band. The band is expected to debut Joakim to fans at Bonnaroo next week. "

[www.metalinsider.net]
"According to a Facebook posting from the French edition of Rock Hard Magazine, the band has been rehearsing with keyboardist Joakim Svalberg (Yngwie Malmsteen, Glenn Hughes). However, Svalberg is reportedly not a permanent member of the group…yet. The magazine’s posting includes a picture of Svalberg in the studio with Opeth during the new album’s mixing sessions..."

[mymetalbin.com]
"A photo has surfaced of Opeth in the studio mixing the upcoming album ‘Heritage’. With the band, is Joakim Svalberg (Yngwie Malmsteen, Glenn Hughes). He is expected to replace Per Wiberg who was relieved of his duties in Opeth as part of a mutual decision with the band. "

FWIW, this lists Svalberg under Current Lineup and Guest Musicians.
[www.metalstorm.net]

On a similar (and odder) note, there's a Wat Tyler track on a Subhumans (UK) tribute compilation on which no members of Wat Tyler appear. Would the whole band be ghosted?
[www.discogs.com]
···
scott
12 years ago
Sep 19, 2011 - 7:21pm
Took a quick look at that Wat Tyler link and it seems like at least Harriet was a member.
···
Jasoon
12 years ago
Sep 19, 2011 - 9:14pm
Wat Tyler often used guest vocalists. Of the WT releases on Harriet's Discogs page, one ("The Vicar and I") differentiates between band members and guests. Another ("Fat of the Band") lists all performers together but only Sean, Smith & Tuck are pictured. Knowing their sense of humor I wouldn't put it past them.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005