Forums / Research / Black Sabbath lineup oddities

Black Sabbath lineup oddities

Mark · 6 replies

Black Sabbath lineup oddities
Mark
11 years ago
May 15, 2012 - 2:38pm
[www.topix.com] gives us some reason to hope that Black Sabbath's January 1978 performance of "Junior's Eyes" with Dave Walker on vocals and "War Pigs" (instrumental) on the BBC's "Look! Hear!" one day may be released. See also [missingepisodes.proboards.com] and [www.zetaminor.com] for details.

[missingepisodes.proboards.com] too.

A snippet appeared on a 2003 ITV (Carlton/Central) broadcast called Rock Legends: Tony Iommi hosted by Noddy Holder:
[www.black-sabbath.com]

Production details here:
[ftvdb.bfi.org.uk]

[edtradernet.weebly.com] says that it exists in full somewhere.

[www.pebblemill.org]

"Look! Hear! – BBC Pebble Mill, tx: 6.1.1978

Black Sabbath, The Coventry Mummers, John Holmes and Chris Phipps in a local magazine programme unseen nationally."

-----

[www.youtube.com] is a video recording from [www.bandtoband.com] of Tony Iommi playing guitar as a member of Jethro Tull. Unfortunately, he made no audible contribution, as mentioned at [www.black-sabbath.com] and elsewhere.
···
Jasoon
11 years ago
May 15, 2012 - 9:17pm
It would've been nice to see the Iommi lineup of Tull make it in.

Here's the audio of "Junior's Eyes" w/ Walker for anyone interested:
[www.youtube.com]

Coincidentally, I listened to Never Say Die! today.
···
Mark
9 years ago
Jan 21, 2015 - 2:48pm
[guitarinternational.com] eliminates the possibility of ever getting Iommi into Jethro Tull:

At the end of '68 when Mick Abrahams had departed from Jethro Tull, we got together with Tony as we did with several other guitar players. He didn’t leave his band and it was a question of seeing what we had in common.
We enjoyed our afternoon or whatever it was in playing together. It was an enjoyable experience. We played a few blues songs and whatever else. It was fun. Later on Tony came and played with us on the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. Without a guitar player, we said to Tony, "Can you come and stand in? You don't have to actually play. You just have to mime." So, Tony came along to the studio with his hat pulled down in front of his face so no one would recognize him (Laughing), because he was a bit embarrassed because his guitar wasn’t even plugged in. I was singing and playing the flute live, but the other guys were miming to the backing track. That was his only public appearance with Jethro Tull, as a pretend guitar player. I have no idea how Tony remembers it, but the way I remember it is definitely the way it was.
Missing 1997 lineup?
Mark
7 years ago
Aug 10, 2016 - 1:31am
There might be a way to have lineup O appear fifteen years before it does now. I've asked the owner of the site below where he got his information, but he no longer recalls. I have checked dozens of compilations for this supposed recording, but I always come up empty. Can anyone help?

[www.black-sabbath.com] (1997 lineup):

"
Ozzy Osbourne – Vocals
Tony Iommi – Guitar
Geezer Butler – Bass
Mike Bordin – Drums
Geoff Nicholls – Keyboards

Albums from this lineup: None, although a live track showed up on an Ozzfest Compilation later on.
"
···
Bloopy
7 years ago
Aug 10, 2016 - 1:59am
···
Mark
7 years ago
Aug 10, 2016 - 3:22am
I suppose it's possible, but Joe Siegler, who runs the black-sabbath.com site, is a fiend for detail and has been documenting the band online for more than twenty years. I don't think he'd confuse a bootleg with an official release. But who knows?

Until January 11, 2012, the site said, "Albums from this lineup: None." -- [web.archive.org]

But then two weeks later it had the text I cited above. --
[web.archive.org]

I asked Joe about it in 2014 and he had already forgotten what prompted him to make the change. I thought maybe the compilation came out in January 2012.
···
Mark
6 years ago
Oct 16, 2017 - 3:06am
[www.black-sabbath.com] still says this:

"Albums from this lineup: None, although a live track showed up on an Ozzfest Compilation later on."

But [www.black-sabbath.com] contradicts it: "Album Appearances: None, only there for live Ozzfest 1997 shows"
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005