Alias Pages

Kevin · 6 replies

Alias Pages
Kevin
8 years ago
Feb 11, 2016 - 9:59pm
I've disabled alias pages. I'm not sure how useful they are (I certainly never looked at them) and the data management on those was somewhat tedious. Hope that doesn't bug anyone too much. Thanks.

Kevin
···
Bloopy
8 years ago
Feb 12, 2016 - 12:11am
Aliases have stopped displaying properly in search results and on albums. It's showing lowercase IDs of some sort rather than the actual aliases:

[www.bandtoband.com]
I'm Dumb
Kevin
8 years ago
Feb 12, 2016 - 5:18am
I surprise myself sometime with some of the dumb things I do. I was displaying the URL handle rather than the actual alias, but it's been fixed. Thanks for the heads-up.

Kevin
···
Bloopy
8 years ago
Feb 29, 2016 - 4:23am
Alias pages don't actually seem to be disabled. If you search the tree for some thing that returns one alias and nothing else (eg. Mikey Lewis or G. Smyth), you arrive straight at an alias page:
[www.bandtoband.com]
Functionality
Kevin
8 years ago
Mar 1, 2016 - 3:31am
Well, you certainly found me out on this one. Technically, I've turned off alias page links although the pages still exist (for now). I took the links off of the pages but hadn't turned off alias searching, so you got me there. I've turned off alias searching now as well, thanks for pointing it out.

Kevin
···
Bloopy
8 years ago
Mar 1, 2016 - 4:54am
Hmm, well ideally you could still search for an alias, but instead arrive at results for artist pages which carry those aliases. I realise there's higher priority things to fix of course. :)
Results
Kevin
8 years ago
Mar 4, 2016 - 5:17pm
Of course you're right, that if there's a search on "Johnny Rotten" (the first alias added to the system for those keeping score) it should go to the John Lydon page. However, there is no way to guarantee that only a single person has ever used a particular alias.

I guess I could parse an alias to see how many people used it over time. However, as you point out, there are many other things to fix that are of more importance. So, I'm now just returning a search result page for the alias, even if it's the only thing in the DB that matches that string because at least the artist associated with the alias can be clicked on.

Thanks.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005