Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] The Toyah Effect

[x] The Toyah Effect

Matt Westwood ยท 2 replies

[x] The Toyah Effect
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Apr 24, 2005 - 9:57am
Given that Toyah (Wilcox) is/was (effectively) a "solo act" recording under her own name, she should not actually qualify for inclusion. However, the fact that she releases/released her records under a *subset* of her own name (cf "Giuffria" and "Gillan") then by the rules of the game, she ought to qualify.

I suppose it could be argued that her band is not actually a band under the definition of the thing (that is, it's probably a bunch of guys she got together to play the instruments for her), but on the cover of (for example) "Anthem", the members of her band are not actually given any "lower billing" (as it were) than Toyah herself ... so how does one tell under these circumstances whether a band is actually a band?

This could effectively open the door wide to further controversy - Millie Jackson for example, recorded her early work under the name "Millie" - and what does one do about "Little Eva"? Not to mention (I hope my computer doesn't barf when I type this) "Little Jimmy Osmond"? Or, okay then, from the ridiculous to the sublime, "Little Richard"?

Or is there a rule somewhere about nicknames that I may have missed?
Nicknames
Kevin
18 years ago
Apr 24, 2005 - 6:48pm
I believe this would fall under the Rule 7e:

"A single individual may be considered a band if he performs under the umbrage of that band name and the name cannot be considered a nickname or stage name for the individual.
Example: Dashboard Confessional is a band. Moby is nickname."

I just call this the Moby rule where a performer is widely known by his nickname or stage name under which he also performs. This obvioiusly becomes a judgement call on a case by case basis but I'll go ahead and veto Little Richard for you if you'd like.

Kevin
No no, no vetoes please ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Apr 24, 2005 - 6:52pm
I'm of the "inclusion" rather than "exclusion" camp, so if you think Little Richard *should* be on, then feel free to put him on!

Trouble is I know too little about him to research him, so let someone else have a go.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005