Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Temporarily joined

[x] Temporarily joined

Matt Westwood · 2 replies

[x] Temporarily joined
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
May 8, 2005 - 9:03am
In the Shambles forum there was mention of Steve Vai "temporarily" joining Whitesnake and whether he was a "real" member of the band at the time ...

My opinion is that although he did join only "temporarily", he *did* join. A lot of bands have "temporary" members - mind you, a lot of bands are only "temporary" anyway - so where do you draw the line at whether a member is "temporary" or "permanent"? A month? Three months? Six months? A year?

Or do you decide it as a predefined agreement for a specific contractual length of time, rather than the usual "till you get the boot"?
···
pkasting
18 years ago
May 8, 2005 - 10:56pm
You know, you wouldn't have this problem if you weren't trying to draw these arbitrary distinctions about who was a "real member" and who wasn't :)

If someone plays with a band (a) only in the studio or only live and (b) is officially called a "session artist", "guest artist" or "touring member", I would say they're not a member. Anything else is a member. If someone "joins" or "temporarily joins" or "only played with us for a month" or whatever, they're still a member. If you don't know whether they're a member or not and no one says they're not, consider them a member.
Re: temporarily joins
Mark
18 years ago
May 9, 2005 - 3:14am
At least in the case of Steve Vai and Whitesnake, I don't think we have to wonder any more. His web site lists all his bands, and Whitesnake is one of them:

[www.vai.com]
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005