Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Split Lineups

[x] Split Lineups

Matt Westwood · 7 replies

[x] Split Lineups
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Nov 26, 2005 - 2:02pm
I notice that (in the interests of simplicity and clarity, I believe), multi-lineup albums are not showing a subset of a lineup as being separate. How rigorous is this rule to be applied? Soft Machine Third would be affected (again!).
···
Python
18 years ago
Nov 26, 2005 - 4:17pm
Actually there are quite a few albums that *do* show a subset of another lineup.
e.g. [bandtoband.com]
···
Mark
18 years ago
Nov 26, 2005 - 5:05pm
Subset lineups are listed if their existence is caused by a member actually leaving the band. If a member is in the band and on at least one of that lineup's recordings on the album, there is no need to list a separate recording lineup.

Renaissance : Illusion is a perfect example.

Jane, Jim, John, Keith, and Louis recorded 4 complete songs. Jim went away for the weekend and Jane, John, Keith, and Louis recorded "Past Orbits Of Dust" with a non-member on keyboards. Jim came back from his trip and kept recording with the band. Because Jim did not leave the band, there is no separate recording lineup for that one song.

We use this same principle for instrumentals and other similar situations.
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Nov 29, 2005 - 6:22am
Here's a split lineup question as it relates to a new album in the tree: Patti Smith's "Horses/Horses", which packages the original "Horses" album (a solo release) with live tracks of Patti Smith And Her Band performing the complete "Horses" album live in London on June 25, 2005. Even though the album's cover only says "Patti Smith", the credits for the live tracks are clearly for "Patti Smith And Her Band". So shouldn't this be treated as a split-lineup album?

(This is really just an excuse to get Tom Verlaine linked directly to Patti, since he performs in the band on "Horses/Horses" but not on their other releases.)
···
Mark
18 years ago
Nov 29, 2005 - 2:17pm
This would be more of a case for a "(released by ______)" album. If the album credits do indeed credit PS And Her Band, then we can list it like we did for this one:
[bandtoband.com]

Do you have this album? I'm reluctant to overrule the cover art on the basis of album reviews alone.
···
Mark
18 years ago
Dec 4, 2005 - 8:45pm
We're almost there. The problem isn't the musician credits, it's the band credits. Patti Smith uses the same supporting musicians for her solo releases and her one "Patti Smith And Her Band" release. The front cover of the album lists Patti Smith only and those web sites do not clearly refer to "Patti Smith And Her Band" as a single band unit. Instead, three of them use almost identical text that says something like "The second disc of Horses/Horses showcases Patti Smith and her band..." The official site comes close by capitalzing Band. That might be enough. I need to do a bit more research.
···
Mark
17 years ago
Jun 3, 2006 - 7:16pm
I took a few more shots at resolving this "Horses/Horses" album, but I still can't find any evidence that the album explicitly credits the live tracks to "Patti Smith And Her Band" so I am giving up.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005