Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Solo material re-released...

[x] Solo material re-released as by the band

Matt Westwood · 2 replies

[x] Solo material re-released as by the band
Matt Westwood
13 years ago
Dec 5, 2010 - 8:33am
We decided, non-optimally, I believe (the canonical example being Decade by Neil Young) that if a solo artist releases a compilation including stuff from his old band (in this case being Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Stills/Young, Crazy Horse etc., that unless the tracks concerned were specifically credited as being by that band, the DB would *not* reflect the band-ness of those tracks, and the album would just be credited to the solo artist.

We have a situation the other way about (see Strawbs By Choice):
[www.bandtoband.com]
on which a Dave Cousins solo track is included, not credited to him. Do we likewise credit the entire album as by "Strawbs" even though this track was not actually performed by Strawbs as such?

IMO we ought to revisit this rule and apply the credit to any and all of the original bands which recorded on the album whether credited on the album cover or not. The "Decade" example being an interesting case in point: Young wrote a short paragraph about each track in which (in at least some cases) he talked about the band which recorded it. "I remember Crazy Horse like Roy Orbison remembers Blue Bayou" is an example. This is sufficiently vague to leave it open as to whether Crazy Horse had been "credited" as such.

There are other cases: there's a Fish compilation (Bouillabaisse, I think it might have been) where the fact that early tracks on it are by Marillion is hidden deep in the packaging and definitely not obvious at first sight.

In order to eliminate such ambiguities (which in many cases can only be resolved by physically getting hold of the actual artifact) I believe we ought to, as I said, assume that tracks originally recorded as by a different band from what has been officially credited on the cover get entered as a "(released by <band-name>") entry, whether or not specifically credited as being so.
···
misterpomp
13 years ago
Dec 5, 2010 - 8:00pm
I agree with you Matt. While some entries may provide thorny questions (eg an explicit specific re-crediting) I think it's odd to turn our face against information we already have.
···
Mark
13 years ago
May 19, 2011 - 3:42am
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005