Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Solo / band

[x] Solo / band

misterpomp · 3 replies

[x] Solo / band
misterpomp
18 years ago
Mar 5, 2006 - 4:04pm
Python quite rightly points out that 'Jorn' is a band because under rule 4b, if the musicians perform under a subset of the leader's name they are a band. Full stop. End of rule. Can we expect to see multi-member band entries for Madonna? Kylie? Frankie? I suggest the inflexible nature of that rule is likely to create bands where none exist {or that the rule will be overlooked through common sense for more popular artists}. Does each instance not need to be looked at in its actuality and isn't an act with a first name subset (eg. Jorn, Madonna) much more likely to be solo than a surname subset (eg Bon Jovi) [although not always - I'm sure Sade was a band].
···
Python
18 years ago
Mar 5, 2006 - 4:49pm
I agree, the rule needs some flexibility. To me Jorn is obviously a solo release. Personally, I think Cans is a solo release as well, even though the subset used here is the last name. On the other hand, Mauro, which is a first name, *is* a band (the official website says so).
···
Mark
18 years ago
Mar 5, 2006 - 5:17pm
I think the flexibility is already there. The musicians who contribute to any album still have to meet the members test. If no other person can rightly be called a member of Jorn, then we're done. Cans can be a one-person band without any modification of the rules.

The only thing then is to figure out whether or not to flag the release as a solo release. This isn't perfect, but it probably works 98.836136493% of the time:

* If the name of the band/artist represents some variant of the artist's name or any other human name, it is a solo act.

* If the name of the band/artist is anything else, it's a one-person band.

Solo artist examples:
Buck Funk [for Lox Coxhill]
Buster Poindexter [for David Johansen]
Madonna

One-person bands/projects:
Dashboard Confessional
Miighty Flashlight

This approach is not explicit in the rules, but Rule 4e hints at it.
Cans
Python
18 years ago
Mar 5, 2006 - 5:35pm
I guess we can leave Cans in as a band. They did do some live shows with a lineup that's close to the one on the record. Also, Joacim Cans seems to refer to CANS as a band rather than as himself.
[www.joacimcans.com]
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005