Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Silent contributions

[x] Silent contributions

Matt Westwood · 2 replies

[x] Silent contributions
Matt Westwood
10 years ago
Jan 7, 2014 - 1:29am
The question of band members who do not contribute anything audible crops up from time to time, e.g. when the member is a dancer, or a light-show technician etc. Such people are deemed *not* to be a member of the band when it comes to documenting the band (Stacia's absence from Hawkwind comes to mind). So, if a band member (e.g. Frank Fiedler's contribution to Popol Vuh's "Messa Di Orfeo" is video only: [www.furious.com]
"The line-up is Fricke (now playing keyboards as opposed to piano), Fiedler on video (this being an "audio-video-light-installation" with "choir-recitation-voice-keyboards"), Maya Rose on vocals, Guillermina De Gennaro doing recitation and Johannes Fricke as "artist assistance."

On the other hand, band members who ostensibly *do not contribute* to certain entries are accorded the status of "ghost members".

The same applies -- they are band members who do not contribute anything audible to the entry, and may not even have been present at the making of it. Would it not be fair to accord the same status to non-audible contributors, e.g. dancers? This would allow Stacia to be recognised as a contributor to Hawkwind, and also Bez to be classified as a Happy Monday, and the database would be all the richer.
···
shakinghell
10 years ago
Jan 7, 2014 - 7:17am
Has this been somewhat discussed here?
www.bandtoband.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10182

The requirements listed on this post (not sure if these are still current) being:

1) The ghost member was a member at the time of the recording but did not appear on the released version of the recording.

2) The artist is already in the database.

3) The artist is not the only connection between the album and the rest of the database.

[Also, dear admins - maybe these could written up and be put in the Rules tab somewhere to make it a bit easier to find them].
In the first place, not sure that Bez, for example, is already in the database (requirement #2). Otherwise, I believe the final gist of that post was as follows:

Mark: Dancers etc. should be allowed.
Misteromp: Reading the basic non-ghost rules, dancers/non-audible contributors are not members. And
"...I think the ghost rule has (possibly only in this case) been allowed to over-ride the primary requirement for membership, which is not how the ghost rule was envisaged. "
Mark: Kevin and I agree with your analysis.
···
Mark
10 years ago
Jan 8, 2014 - 2:59am
That's about right, Shakinghell. I am still with Matt on this one, but I couldn't convince Kevin to stray from the rules as they are written, and MP pretty much nailed the original interpretation.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005