Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] post-Wigwam thought...

[x] post-Wigwam thought...

misterpomp · 7 replies

[x] post-Wigwam thought...
misterpomp
17 years ago
May 12, 2006 - 8:14am
Could we consider moving all 's/t' albums to an 'untitled' status. The inconsistency of the Wigwam single (i.e. a song that happens to share the same name as the band) as against almost all the s/t albums (those released by a band and not given any name) still irks me, although it has been pointed out that 'Backbeat' by 'Backbeat' (a soundtrack) was understood to be different than a s/t album and still resides in the dB as 'Backbeat' by 'Backbeat' rather than s/t. Of course, I make no secret of the fact that simple reinstatement of Wigwam to the same style as Backbeat would leave me happier and resolve the issue. 'Backbeat' definitely shouldn't be moved to s/t, in my view, although that would at least be consistent with WigWam.
Backbeat
Kevin
17 years ago
May 14, 2006 - 5:18am
Were there other bands on the soundtrack? If so then it is similar to a compilation where the band is just a part of the record and just so happens to share a name with it. There is a subtle difference between an album or a song being named after a band and a band being named after a compilation. Furthermore there is no soundtrack named "s/t" and while we can interpolate "s/t" from a band / album title relationship, the same cannot be done in the other direction.

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
May 14, 2006 - 8:37am
Only the Backbeat band performs on the Backbeat soundtrack. It's the band covering songs that the Beatles used to cover in their Hamburg days (and in the movie their music is heard when the Beatles are playing). Excellent soundtrack, by the way.
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
May 20, 2006 - 7:44pm
So under the current rules, it's 's/t'. No?
···
pkasting
17 years ago
May 20, 2006 - 11:52pm
I thought Kevin just said that you couldn't have "s/t soundtrack"?
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
May 21, 2006 - 8:25am
Next you'll be suggesting I read what's written before commenting ... you're so unreasonable sometimes! My bad.
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
May 21, 2006 - 10:53pm
The Backbeat soundtrack's something of a special case, anyway. There's nothing on the cover or in the liner notes to suggest that this group of musicians was known as "Backbeat". The decision to enter them in as "Backbeat" was apparently made based on the fact that they performed under that name at the 1994 MTV Movie Awards, at least according to this page:

[encycl.opentopia.com]

But Allmusic refers to them as "The Backbeat Band":

[www.allmusic.com]

This is also the designation used by Gracenote (CDDB), Musicbrainz, and Rateyourmusic:

[www.gracenote.com]
[musicbrainz.org]
[rateyourmusic.com]

So really, there's not a whole lot of justification in calling them "Backbeat" instead of "The Backbeat Band".

Aha! Two CD singles were released ("Money" and "Please Mr. Postman") using the name "The Backbeat Band" on the cover!

[www.dullicious.com]

So it looks like we need to change the band name.

ETA: I've added the two singles to the queue.
···
Mark
17 years ago
May 21, 2006 - 11:37pm
Nice work.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005