Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Piper's Animal

[x] Piper's Animal

Python · 2 replies

[x] Piper's Animal
Python
17 years ago
Jun 23, 2006 - 6:03am
There's a band called Animal in the db, featuring Randy Piper from W.A.S.P.
[www.bandtoband.com]

That band has released a new album but there's a bit of a problem regarding the name of the band:
[www.distbox.com]

As you can see, the logo of the band is the same as on the one in the db. However, the cover also says "Randy Piper's Animal". What do we do with this one? "Animal" or "Randy Piper's Animal"?
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
Jun 23, 2006 - 7:13am
Previously we've deemed this a new band: see David Coverdale's Whitesnake / Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. I believe this more sophisticated aliasing was up for discussion now. I favour a case by case basis and actually would more lean towards aliasing where the the member's name is added for later releases. That seems to me to indicate marketing rather than reinvention. That said we'd have to be careful because sometimes that style can be used to distinguish later versions of a band where legal arguments have split a band.
···
pkasting
17 years ago
Jun 23, 2006 - 7:29am
The fact that the logo and the site address both use "Animal" without "Randy Piper's" suggests to me that "Animal" is a perfectly legitimate name for the group. If the group name was really, truly "Randy Piper's Animal"< they wouldn't have just "Animal" as a logo on the same cover art, and as a T-shirt logo, etc.

Looks like a marketing thing to me.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005