Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Nick Cave "Featuring&...

[x] Nick Cave "Featuring" The Bad Seeds

pin_punk · 7 replies

[x] Nick Cave "Featuring" The Bad Seeds
pin_punk
17 years ago
May 25, 2006 - 4:00pm
So I queued a bunch of Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds albums a few days ago, feeling that the genius of Mr Cave was somewhat under-represented in these parts.

Here's the problem: Cave's first post-Birthday Party release, the "From Her To Eternity" album, was officially released by Nick Cave Featuring The Bad Seeds. Cave's name appears on the front, with "Featuring The Bad Seeds" on the back. On the spine (at least on the CD version I checked in a shop yesterday) the album is simply credited to Nick Cave.

So is this simply a Cave solo album or is it a collaboration between solo artist Nick Cave and band The Bad Seeds? Or can I cheat and pretend it's by "Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds" like everything else they've released and as it seems to be credited on most websites?

Scans of front and back here:
[www.fromthearchives.com]
···
pkasting
17 years ago
May 25, 2006 - 4:24pm
Seems from those pictures like it'd be wrong to credit it as a Nick Cave solo album when the Bad Seeds text + pictures are so prominent on the rear. I don't know where that leaves us though :(
···
Mark
17 years ago
Jul 4, 2006 - 5:28pm
We'll treat this as a Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds release and then band-alias it to Nick Cafe Featuring The Bad Seeds.
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
Jul 5, 2006 - 10:18pm
Why?
···
Mark
17 years ago
Jul 5, 2006 - 11:23pm
It sounds like a collaboration between Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds with the word "Featuring" used to join the two. The Bad Seeds have never performed without the guy, so it should go in as Nick Cave Featuring The Bad Seeds as the band name. But now that we recognize "Featuring" as a join word / symbol (like And, &, With, and others), we treat Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds as identical to Nick Cave Featuring The Bad Seeds.

Or did you mean, "Why is this a collaboration?"
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
Jul 6, 2006 - 7:03am
No, that was a very convincing explanation. Thanks. So can exactly the same be said about the album by 'John Kay And Steppenwolf'?

"It sounds like a collaboration between John Kay and Steppenwolf with the word "And" used to join the two. Steppenwolf have never performed without the guy, so it should go in as Steppenwolf as the band name. But now that we recognize "And" as a join word / symbol (like Featuring, &, With, and others), we treat Steppenwolf as identical to John Kay And Steppenwolf."
···
Mark
17 years ago
Jul 6, 2006 - 10:06pm
There's a distinction (I think) between "performing with the guy" where guy = band member and "performing with the guy" where the guy = distinctly credited collaborator. That's the distinction that the collaboration rules recognize.
···
ryq
17 years ago
Jul 6, 2006 - 11:12pm
misterpomp, I believe JK&S is treated as a separate band because John Kay explicitly states his band underwent a name change (Rule 5) which I don't think applies to this issue.

[www.steppenwolf.com]

"It was around this time that Kay learned that two of his former bandmates were touring with a bogus "Steppenwolf." The notion of the fake band playing low-rent club gigs-and tarnishing the legacy he'd spent nearly a decade building-aroused Kay's fighting spirit, motivating him and Steppenwolf co-founder Jerry Edmonton (who by then had retired from music in favor of a career in photography) to take steps to establish their legal claim to the band name.

In 1980 Kay launched an all-new lineup, now billed as John Kay and Steppenwolf, virtually starting from scratch to restore his band's good name. The new group spent the next several years working a punishing touring regimen, playing anywhere and everywhere it could to rebuild Steppenwolf's reputation as a class act."
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005