Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Multiple band names on sam...

[x] Multiple band names on same release for diff. markets

Matt Westwood · 4 replies

[x] Multiple band names on same release for diff. markets
Matt Westwood
13 years ago
Jun 6, 2010 - 10:58am
The case in point being:

[www.bandtoband.com]

In France they are "Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel" but they also (on the same releases) call themselves "The Honeymoon Killers" (for the Anglophone market).

This is more than just a Yazoo / Yaz variant, because here you see:
[www.discogs.com]
they use both names on the same disc.

So how do we enter the band name for this? "Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel · The Honeymoon Killers" seems most sensible, although "Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel||The Honeymoon Killers" is also plausible.

I'm going to put my vote for the first of these. Any other suggestions welcome.
···
shakinghell
13 years ago
Jun 6, 2010 - 3:22pm
[www.bandtoband.com]
this Israeli punk band does the same thing. i've gone with Written Hebrew||English.

the band didn't always go as 'Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel · The Honeymoon Killers' so i don't think the cdot is appropriate. i don't know if i really understand what's going on though:
[www.discogs.com]
(on their first album they go as both names, though the center label says one is the band name and the other is the title)
[www.discogs.com]
(another release where they go as both names, but judging from the center label and the way it has been entered into discogs, the band is going a split with itself! french vs english)
[www.discogs.com]
(on the next LP they just go as Honeymoon Killers)

could there be two different bands? from discogs:
"Started out as Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel and released 1 highly eclectic LP in 1977. In 1982 a second LP was released with members of Aksak Maboul, but this time under the English equivalent: The Honeymoon Killers. It was an entirely different style.")
···
misterpomp
13 years ago
Jun 6, 2010 - 5:19pm
I think I'd disagree with your reading of original centre labels on their 1981 release:
[www.discogs.com]

It could be a band name / album title (although even then I'm not sure which we would deem name and which title). Equally it could, again, simply be giving both the French and English names.

On this, it could be a split with themselves as you say: [www.discogs.com] or it could just be proving the interchangability / fundamentally conjoined nature of the two band names.

Note that in a non-Francophone market they:
1) drop the French part of the name / French name
2) re-credit the Route Nationale 7 track to The Honeymoon Killers / The Honeymoonkillers
[www.discogs.com]

I think the clincher for me is that the rear sleeve of Belgian release for the LP we're talking about has production credits for 'Les Tueurs'
[www.discogs.com]
But the rear sleeve of same album - German release has same production credit but now it's for 'The Honeymoon Killers'
[www.discogs.com]

No doubt in my mind that they are interchangeably using the English and French versions of their names. I quite like Matt's way of dealing with it but when we add the album by the earlier version of the band I think we'll have a problem.

What about if we deem the band to be called:
Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel||Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel · The Honeymoon Killers
?
···
Mark
13 years ago
Jun 6, 2010 - 5:31pm
The amended Rule 5(b) addresses this situation:

Band names which are (a) cosmetically changed when an album is released in a foreign market or (b) translated into a foreign language do not result in two distinct bands.

Example: The UK band Yazoo appears as Yaz in the US. Only Yazoo is recognized.

Example: Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel is translated as The Honeymoon Killers. Only Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel is recognized.
···
misterpomp
13 years ago
Jun 6, 2010 - 6:52pm
I disagree. That simplifying logic could leave this album as just being by Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel and I think it's clear that the English name was part of how the band presented themselves - even on the Belgian release.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005