Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Membership through officia...

[x] Membership through official video clips?

Python · 10 replies

[x] Membership through official video clips?
Python
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2011 - 2:10pm
I was wondering if a video clip counts towards inclusion of a lineup in the database. I know that's not an audible contribution as stated in the rules but it's definitely a visual contribution if all band members appear in the clip.
E.g. The Difference (BE) their drummer quit after the recording of their second album. He was replaced and they recorded a professionally filmed video clip with the new guy (the audio is still the original audio from the CD). Last month, the new guy was let go after about 1,5 years. They haven't recorded any new material with him in that period.
Can we use that video clip to represent the lineup with the recently-let-go-drummer?

This is the video: [www.youtube.com]
···
pin_punk
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2011 - 4:19pm
Not for me. If he never played on any recordings then he's irrelevant for our purposes. I'd see this as just the same as a recently recruited band member appearing on the cover/artwork of an album that was entirely recorded before they joined. Visual representation is one thing, audible contribution is another.
···
Python
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2011 - 4:44pm
Technically, he played on the recording of the videoclip...
···
Mark
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2011 - 8:23pm
If video performances were allowed, we could document Tony Iommi's brief stint in Jethro Tull. I mostly agree with pin_punk, but I'm interested in hearing what the rest of the team thinks.
···
misterpomp
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2011 - 10:31pm
No. The performance that was mimed to for a video can only belong to one line-up and that's the people who actually recorded it. For me, this is not even a close or debatable point - sorry.
···
shakinghell
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2011 - 11:41pm
i agree. video clips are usually mimed. if someone DID audibly perform on a video clip, for example if the audio and video were taken from a live performance, that might be acceptable perhaps depending on how the video clip was released.
···
scott
12 years ago
Sep 17, 2011 - 12:31am
I'm not in favor of including video at all (I'd get rid of the DVDs in the dB.) But especially just a lip-synched performance in a music video. Definite no for me.
···
Python
12 years ago
Sep 17, 2011 - 4:59am
This site is called band2band, right. Not audio2audio. We're trying to document band lineups through official releases. Why is an audio recording worth more than a video recording? I personally think that a video that shows a whole band performing together is the best proof you can have that a certain lineup existed.
···
scott
12 years ago
Sep 17, 2011 - 7:59am
When I think of a band's discography, I don't think about videos. It's as simple as that. I'd rather not have a DVD of a performance on David Letterman as part of the dB.
···
Python
12 years ago
Sep 17, 2011 - 6:54pm
Haha, apart from my initial question, what's wrong with a Letterman performance? :) If the band includes it on an official release, then we should document it. I personally think those Simpsons and Sesame Street entries are far worse than anything Letterman-related :)
···
Matt Westwood
12 years ago
Sep 18, 2011 - 9:22am
Iff:

a) during the course of recording the video clip, the band made noises that end up as being recorded (as opposed to where the only contribution to the experience is visual)

b) the video is officially released by the band

then the video becomes eligible for inclusion.

There exists in our DB a rule that limits visual-only performers (e.g. dancers and conductors) from featuring in a band lineup. This is merely an implementation of that rule.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005