Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Mann-Dude

[x] Mann-Dude

Python · 7 replies

[x] Mann-Dude
Python
18 years ago
Sep 27, 2005 - 6:39am
Since when do solo artists performing under a stagename count as a band? In that case half of the artists currently in the db as a solo artist would have to become a band... Syd Barrett is a stage name but "Syd Barrett" obiously isn't a band....
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 27, 2005 - 7:50am
Actually that's been true for as long as I can remember -- the canonical example is that "Alice Cooper" is treated as a band for the time period when that was just his stage name and not his real name as well. It's only a Solo Artist after he changes his real name.
Disagree
misterpomp
18 years ago
Sep 27, 2005 - 4:45pm
(but then don't I always :-)
Alice Cooper was an existing band where all but one of the members left. That's why it continues as a band for a while. GM-D was never a band...
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 27, 2005 - 5:50pm
I'm stating Rule 4f here guys :)

Anyway, It was Kevin's call that Guy Mann-Dude was a band, so...
···
Python
18 years ago
Sep 27, 2005 - 6:46pm
GMD is a solo artist, rule 4e:

A nickname or stage name may count as a band if its use identifies the collective whole of the band to the same degree as the individual to whom the nickname is assigned.

This is clearly not the case here. The fact that both albums only feature him on the cover art should be proof enough.
Has to be a solo artist.
misterpomp
18 years ago
Sep 28, 2005 - 7:18am
With all due respect to our hosts, anything else would be stupid. The test of a '1 man band' might be: at a party you meet Damon Albarn and Guy Shiffman {I have no idea why they are at the same party. Until someone gets Blur in the dB I don't know the link!}; you walk up to Damon and says 'Hello, Gorillaz!'. He gives you a withering look. Hurt but unbowed, you see Mr Shiffman and says 'Wow, it's Guy Mann-Dude, isn't it?'. He shakes your hand, mutters something incoherent that ends with 'Dude!', picks up his guitar and shreds your face off (in a friendly / glad you recognised me kinda way).
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 28, 2005 - 10:20pm
I still am conflicted on this one. I originally submitted it as a Solo Artist and changed it under advisement from Kevin. My real problem is I don't agree at all with the whole "Solo Artist"/"self-named band" set of rules so it's hard for me to think logically within their framework.

I still feel like if you went up to Vincent Furnier 35 years ago and addressed him as "Alice Cooper" he would respond. This situation feels like the exact parallel of that, to me. You have a person who takes a stage name, constructs a band named after that stage name, and tours. Is that a Solo Artist? If so then Rule 4e is pointless and should be removed. To me, of course, this is as much, or as little, of a band a someone who names a band after their _real_ name and tours... but we count those as "Solo Artists". Argh.

Please, Kevin, clarify this one.
Stand Corrected
Kevin
18 years ago
Sep 29, 2005 - 5:16am
Python is right on this one, it does not live up to Rule 4(e) and therefore should only be the solo artist. I was wrong and have changed the line-up.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005