Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Killing Machine

[x] Killing Machine

Python · 12 replies

[x] Killing Machine
Python
18 years ago
Apr 18, 2005 - 6:59pm
I'm working on some links through the band Killing Machine. KM was put together by Tracii Guns after he left L.A. Guns for the first time (early 90's). Now the problem is, while it's clear from interviews with Tracii and other bandmembers that Killing Machine is a band, the artwork says "Tracii Guns - Killing Machine". The side of the CD just says "Killing Machine". Given these facts, you could say it's a solo album by Tracii Guns. However, the inside of the booklet clearly states: "Killing Machine is.... <band members>". I've got different versions of the album and as far as song credits go, one versions says "all songs written by Killing Machine", the other one just lists all band members for every song. Given these facts, it's obvious that Killing Machine is a band.

So before I come up with a whole bunch of bands that are connected through Killing Machine, I would like to know if Killing Machine is considered a band or not.

The same thing happens with Bruce Dickinson - Skunkworks. If you look at the artwork, it looks like a solo release by Dickinson. The inside, however, says "Skunsworks are...". Also, when I saw Dickinson live after that release, he told the audience "This is not Dickinson, we are Skunkworks."

Just curious what you guys think of this; band or solo album?
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Apr 19, 2005 - 12:59am
Sounds like they're bands to me, but I'm obviously the wrong person to be answering this question :D
Re: Killing Machine
Larry_Showalters
18 years ago
Apr 19, 2005 - 2:33am
If the band had a chance to release an album under its name but chose not to, then who are we to secondguess what's written ("Tracii Guns") on the album? Or are we secondguessing the record label?
Mark
18 years ago
Apr 20, 2005 - 5:45am
Without looking at the cover, I would consider Killing Machine to be a band under the rules we've established. I've encountered several albums originally released by a band and then later reissued as solo albums and I've also come across a handful that are ambiguously labeled by the record company to attract the most fans. Because this one's obviously a band effort and attributed to the band in a customary spot like the spine/side, I think it meets the requirements.

The album cover, a lot of the reviews, and some biographies of L.A. Guns, however, make it seem like a solo release. Rockdetector ( [www.rockdetector.com] ) is the only site that suggests that there is a version of the album cover that credits the release to Killing Machine. I would like to see what that looks like. Were there any singles?
Original release
Python
18 years ago
Apr 20, 2005 - 6:15am
As far as I know, there aren't any singles. The original cover looks like this: [cgi.ebay.com]

All the other covers are re-releases from a couple of years after the original release. The re-releases are indeed labeled as a solo project and also include some live L.A. Guns songs. The same record companies also re-released an album by "The Liberators" as a solo release by Phil Lewis. (Which reminds me, I haven't sent in info about The Liberators yet :-))

My scanner is broken so I can't scan in the booklet but I could take some picutres if you want.
Re: Original release
Mark
18 years ago
Apr 21, 2005 - 1:36pm
Even this original release clearly says Tracii Guns up at the top. I was hoping for something that just said Killing Machine or "Killing Machine featuring Tracii Guns." I don't dispute that Killing Machine is a band (so don't worry about sending pictures)--I just don't like the idea of using an album cover that looks so much like a solo release. Still thinking...
···
Python
18 years ago
Apr 22, 2005 - 4:53pm
Yeah well, it does say "Tracii Guns" on it in a rather big font, doesn't it. It's been a while since I last saw that cover and I had a different image in my head :)
The CD itself also says Tracii Guns on it; I really don't understand those record companies. The side of the CD just says "Killing Machine" indicating a self-titled release. Whay can't they be a little more consistent? :)
Kevin
18 years ago
Apr 22, 2005 - 6:12pm
I think I'd consider Killing Machine as a distinct band that had Tracii Guns as a member. I've worked in the music industry for a number of years now and I have seen first hand record labels constantly either promoting a new band as something featuring member 'X' or going back and re-packaging and old release featuring 'X' because that individual's marketability has risen. From the perspective of a label marketer (who I've dealt with many, many times) putting out simply Killing Machine would result in the getting lost in the shuffle of the music market but if slathering it with the name Tracii Guns would increase sales they wouldn't think twice. The cheesier the music the better chance of it happening, and LA Guns is a fine, well-aged sharp cheddar if you ask me.

Kevin
Re: Cheddar
Mark
18 years ago
Apr 23, 2005 - 8:39pm
Be careful who you say that to, my friend!
LA Guns
KateUK
18 years ago
Apr 23, 2005 - 8:40pm
Huh, I *like* LA Guns!

Kate
···
Python
18 years ago
Apr 23, 2005 - 11:03pm
OK, I'm confused. My English isn't THAT good so I'm not sure how to inertpret that cheddar comment. Are you saying you dislike L.A. Guns or is it the other way around?
Cheddar
Kevin
18 years ago
Apr 23, 2005 - 11:11pm
Heh-heh, well there's nothing wrong with LA Guns nor is there anything wrong about liking them, it's just the whole hair metal scene that I find hard to not sit back and chuckle whenever I think about it. Granted that I'm sure there are more than a few records in my collection that would result in some grins but still...

Kevin
I say, I say, calm down over there ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Apr 24, 2005 - 9:00am
This is a site for documentation of reality, not for comparison of quality ... ;-)

I'm working towards getting some of the most unbelievably naff bands in place (I almost managed to get Dollar included) just for the sake of it. Spice Girls, Destiny's Child, Bay City Rollers, Boyzone, bring 'em on!
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005