Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Jackson 5 / Jackson 5ive

[x] Jackson 5 / Jackson 5ive

Matt Westwood · 9 replies

[x] Jackson 5 / Jackson 5ive
Matt Westwood
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2011 - 2:11pm
Different band names, or punctuation fluctuation?
···
scott
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2011 - 5:05pm
We have this same issue with this band -
[www.bandtoband.com]
that needs to be addressed. We've pretty much ignored it up to now.
···
scott
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2011 - 5:05pm
Has to be the same band, though.
···
Jasoon
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2011 - 5:26pm
I'm not sure how many releases have them as the Jackson 5ive, but there are at least two where the cover says Jackson 5ive but the center label says Jackson 5.
[www.discogs.com]
[www.discogs.com]

A situation similar to the Atomic Rooster debut.
[www.bandtoband.com]
(Kevin's ruling on this: "Due to the conflict between the cover and the labels, all band aliases are being dropped and we're defaulting with the least amount of band name trickery.")
···
Matt Westwood
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2011 - 8:13pm
All the J5 albums have been queued up now. A handful, from about 72-74-ish, were as 5ive.

They're in as j5||j5ive so if, as, and when they get VFed raise a Q and we can change them if they need to be.
···
Mark
12 years ago
Oct 27, 2011 - 4:22am
For the examples Jason found, the (inconsistent) center labels establish that the cover art is a stylistic rendering of the historical band name. Even in the absence of such evidence, we have the "alternate numerical spellings" category of Rule 5a.
···
bgzimmer
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2011 - 6:50am
Returning to this... There are also releases credited to "The Jackson Five", e.g.:

[rateyourmusic.com]

(Also "Big Boy", in queue.)

So with the variants "(The) Jackson 5", "(The) Jackson 5ive" and "(The) Jackson Five", should the primary name be "Jackson Five"?
···
Mark
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2011 - 8:11pm
It should just be whichever came first minus the "The" as we did for [www.bandtoband.com] and perhaps others. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that it's correct now.
···
bgzimmer
12 years ago
Dec 13, 2011 - 7:56pm
It's "The Jackson Five" on the earliest release we have ("Big Boy" single, in the queue). So "Jackson Five", right?
···
Mark
12 years ago
Dec 14, 2011 - 5:26am
Sounds good.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005