Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Guns N' Roses

[x] Guns N' Roses

Python · 3 replies

[x] Guns N' Roses
Python
18 years ago
Sep 25, 2005 - 7:37pm
I was thinking of submitting GnR's Use Your Illusion II because it contains Civil War which was recorded by the lineup with both Steven Adler and Dizzy Reed in it. However, I'm not sure whether both were in the band at the same time. It's possible that Reed didn't join until after Adler was fired from the band, I just don't know.

However, for the sake of argument, let's assume they *were* in the band at the same time. Both Illusion albums have all musicians listed per song in the booklet. Some songs were recorded without Dizzy Reed because, well, they don't have any keyboards or piano in them. Apparently, all guitars on Civil War were recorded by Slash and Izzy Stradlin didn't play on that song. So how should the lineup for Civil War look like then? Should it include Izzy, even though he didn't play on that particular song, but was a bandmember? And if not, shouldn't all different instances of the lineup be listed as well (e.g. at least one lineup without Dizzy Reed)?

Vicious Circle by L.A. Guns also has all musicians listed per song. On that album there's at least 1 song per band member that was recorded without that particular band member. In this case, should 5 lineups be listed? 1 with all members, and 4 for each partial lineup?
Members ...
misterpomp
18 years ago
Sep 25, 2005 - 8:56pm
count even if the band records a song without them; otherwise every instrumental on an album is going to cause an erroneous line-up #2! I agree it gets dificult when an album crosses timespans and it sounds like the GnR Adler/Dizzy thing is a genuine #1 and #2. LA Guns sounds just like a collective situation where certain things were done with and without people but the whole always included all members. Ditto a situation where 1 guitarist takes all parts on a single track; again the line-up didn't actually change.
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 25, 2005 - 9:44pm
I agree with misterpomp. Multiple lineups are for when a band gains or loses a permanent meber, not for when they happen to record a song that doesn't use one of their members' talents.
···
Mark
18 years ago
Oct 4, 2005 - 2:59am
I'm with Mr. Pomp and PK. As long as they were all on the album and in the band at the same time, there's no need to list the lineups separately, unless there was, in fact, a recognized distinct lineup.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005