Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Gorki/Gorky

[x] Gorki/Gorky

Python · 3 replies

[x] Gorki/Gorky
Python
18 years ago
Mar 21, 2006 - 10:05pm
Gorky was a band fronted by Luc De Vos that split up after two albums.
[bandtoband.com]

Not long after the split, De Vos decided to start up the band again but with other musicians. However, instead of retaining the Gorky moniker, he named the band Gorki.
[bandtoband.com]

Since both bands were 'his bands' Gorki also played (and still plays) a whole bunch of Gorky songs when they perform live.

In 1999 a best of was released called 'Het Beste Van Gorki' (The Best Of Gorki).
[www.gorki.be]
This album actually contains quite a few Gorky songs as well. My girlfriend has this album and nowhere on the artwork or in the booklet the name 'Gorky' is mentioned. In fact, besides the tracklisting and a copyright notice, there's no text in the booklet whatsoever (no lineups or anything).

So, how should this album be entered in the db? This album contains songs by Gorky that are released under the name Gorki. Keep in mind that Gorky and Gorki are in fact two different bands and that, besides Luc De Vos, no Gorky band members have ever played in Gorki.

If we were to follow the rules, I believe this album would have to go in as just Gorki with all the different lineups. This would create a Gorki lineup consisting of Gorky band members; a lineup that never existed.

So, should we create two entries? One for Gorky and one for Gorki? And if so, would this have to be a 'multi-band compilation' or one 'single band compilation' for Gorki and one 'released by another band' entry for Gorky?

I would enter it as a mutli-band compilation for these reasons: About half of the songs on that album are Gorky songs. Gorky released one studio album and one live album (the live album is not represented on this compilation). At the time this compilation was released, Gorki had three studio albums out. So what we have here, is a compilation album released under the name Gorki. Half of the songs on this album are taken from 3 Gorki albums while the other half is taken from 1 Gorky album. The album also contains a re-recording of a Gorky song done by Gorki. So clearly, Gorky had better material than Gorki had at this time.

Any thoughts?
···
Mark
18 years ago
Mar 21, 2006 - 11:03pm
Kevin and I recently discussed this possibility. First, this kind of album should not be entered as a multi-band compilation because the release itself was credited to just one band, despite the possible presence of other bands on the album (just as the Kiss box set is credited to Kiss even though there are other bands on it). Our stance right now is this:

* If the album specifically credits the original band with the previously released material, then it would be appropriate to create a "released by another band" entry for the original band.

* If, as is the case here, the album does not credit the original band, then we're going to assume that the later band "adopted" the earlier material.

In this situation, that would create a lineup of Gorki that never truly existed, but we consider this to be an after-the-fact band name change.

Thoughts?
···
ajweitzman
18 years ago
Mar 22, 2006 - 5:08am
At first, I cringed at the idea of creating a lineup of a band that never existed. But then I decided to look at it another way, that the songs on the album not by the band on the cover are basically being orphaned. It looks the same in the database, but it feels a lot better.
···
Mark
18 years ago
Apr 18, 2006 - 2:52am
I messed up last month when we discussed this topic.

The important rule is 3(a):

A band's material will be eligible for inclusion if it is found on a release by a different band so long as that material is credited to the original band.

This breaks down into three possibilities:

* If the album specifically credits the original band with the previously released material, then it would be appropriate to create a "released by another band" entry for the original band, under Rule 3(a).

* If the album does not credit the original band and the material has never been released by the original band, then we're going to assume that the later band "adopted" the earlier band's material.

* If the album does not credit the original band and the material already has been released by the original band, then we pretend the previously released material is not on this new album. That way no false lineups are created.

--

Sorry about confusing things.

---

Update: See [www.bandtoband.com]
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005