Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Fall: Carroll

[x] Fall: Carroll

Matt Westwood · 3 replies

[x] Fall: Carroll
Matt Westwood
17 years ago
Oct 2, 2006 - 5:30am
What's the ruling on band managers who also perform with the band?

We've got Kay Carroll of The Fall:
[www.visi.com]
"1977-Apr 1983
management, production, backing vocals"

who sings and plays percussion on the occasional track, and whose contribution is greater or lesser on various albums.

My view is: being a band's manager is arguably a "part" of the band, although usually they don't get included because they don't perform (think about Peter "Zep" Grant, for example). Kay Carroll, however, *did* (documentedly) perform on albums by The Fall, and therefore my view is that (however small a performing part she played) she should appear on their albums.

Thoughts?
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
Oct 2, 2006 - 7:42am
No. Not for me. While you might of course get some people who manage a band and are also a member of it - this would have to be on the explicit basis that this was the case. This is a manager who just happens to have sung some backing vocals. What about the Floyd roadies whose whispers are on DSoTM? Are they members too?
I'd bet that whatver contracts were in place between The Fall and their management made it very clear who was in the band and it wouldn't have been their manager.
···
Mark
17 years ago
Oct 3, 2006 - 2:07am
Yeah. What he said.
···
MattB
17 years ago
Oct 3, 2006 - 3:56pm
I asked the guys on the (un)official Fall website what they thought, but they haven't been clamouring to answer.

However, a search of the forums seems to indicate she was considered an "anciliary vocalist" - hence, I think, not in the band.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005