Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Cure / Easy Cure

[x] Cure / Easy Cure

Mark · 4 replies

[x] Cure / Easy Cure
Mark
11 years ago
May 2, 2012 - 2:02pm
[en.wikipedia.org] shows the track listing for the reissue of this Cure album, which features a bonus disc of demos recorded by Easy Cure, the early version of the band with extra fourth member Porl Thompson.

[www.discogs.com] shows all of the packaging of the reissue.

[s.dsimg.com] is the only part of the packaging that mentions Easy Cure, appearing to recognize that Fire In Cairo, Meathook, and 10:15 Saturday Night were once Easy Cure songs.

Comparing the history of Easy Cure at [en.wikipedia.org] to the recording dates and member participation on the reissue, it seems that the recordings of Fire In Cairo and Meathook on this CD are actually by the Cure and not Easy Cure. But the demo version of 10:15 Saturday Night on the bonus disc was recorded during the Easy Cure timeline.

Is [s.dsimg.com] enough of an attribution to Easy Cure to include the recordings here?
···
Jasoon
11 years ago
May 2, 2012 - 11:59pm
Assuming the dates of member participation on the Wikipedia page are correct, the first seven tracks were recorded during the Easy Cure era. This pic shows the recording dates and credits Thompson on them. I'd say yes.
[s.dsimg.com]
···
Mark
11 years ago
May 3, 2012 - 2:40am
I agree that the first tracks were recorded by Easy Cure in real life, of course. But Easy Cure is mentioned only in that narrative section I linked and only that one time. If you judge by packaging alone, do we have enough crediting to attribute any songs to Easy Cure? (The track list and recording dates on the CD packaging don't suggest that any of the demos are by Easy Cure. If one didn't know better, one could assume that Porl Thompson was just a guest musician on those songs or an early member of the Cure.)

If we do have enough crediting to recognize Easy Cure, does it matter that two of the three songs seemingly attributed to Easy Cure were actually recorded by the Cure on this release?
···
Jasoon
11 years ago
May 3, 2012 - 6:53pm
If we're judging strictly on packaging, perhaps not. Since it's known some recordings were made during the Easy Cure era, I would think that would be enough (at least for my simple mind). Lack of proper crediting doesn't change the fact that Easy Cure recorded those tracks.

My break is just about over. I'll think more on this and get back on it later.
···
Matt Westwood
11 years ago
May 3, 2012 - 9:32pm
If we're going by "inside knowledge" that some tracks are by Easy Cure, then the same will apply to compilations? So a CSNY track on Neil Young's Decade becomes "by CSNY released by NY"?

We had this discussion before and established the rule (against my own vote) that *unless specifically credited on the album packaging*, any such tracks are credited solely to the artist whose name is on the package.

I personally would love to credit Marillion tracks off Fish compilations to Marillion, and CSNY tracks off Neil Young comps to CSNY, and so on, without having to scour through the original artefact to see whether there was actually any mention of that band anywhere on it, but this was not how the rules fell.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005