Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Collaboration Conundrum

[x] Collaboration Conundrum

misterpomp · 1 reply

[x] Collaboration Conundrum
misterpomp
18 years ago
Jan 29, 2006 - 8:42am
There's a recent album credited to (on the sleeve) Russell Allen & Jorn Lande. So pretty easy, collaboration... however the songs were all 100% written by, and the album was produced by Magnus Karlsson who is also the guitarist, along with a bassist and the 4 members are all given equal billing on the credits listing as players. How to reflect this; has "Russell Allen - Jorn Lande" just become a 4-member band? For me; it's impossible to conceive that Karlsson isn't in this band given his contribution and the way he's credited. There is a possible get out in that the spine of the CD just says "Allen - Lande" (and I think that's the real name; the Russell and Jorn added to the sleeve to ensure we know who it is) but as I recall the spine of Beck Bogert and Appice dropped the Jeff, Tim, Carmine ... and that didn't do it any good!
Views?
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jan 30, 2006 - 10:15pm
This is either a band called "Allen / Lande" or just a collaboration of two solo artists without Karlsson.

The other musicians on this are definitely in the nature of a "backing band"; this project has been marketed as 100% about Allen & Lande, though the various reviewers out there have not failed to notice Karlsson's contributions and compare this album to Starbreaker. Also the project seems to be a bit of a one-off.

I'm not sure which way I lean, honestly. I've got the album in my "to check out" queue (for personal listening, not B2B) as "Allen/Lande - The Battle". I tend to think we should treat this similarly to Beck, Bogert & Appice. I'm not sure I agree with how that one was handled, but the art situation on the two is pretty close.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005