Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Chris Manning / Jellyfish

[x] Chris Manning / Jellyfish

misterpomp ยท 4 replies

[x] Chris Manning / Jellyfish
misterpomp
18 years ago
May 8, 2005 - 11:21am
Is Chris Manning of Jellyfish a 'member'? (I know they're not in yet but I will make the chain soon as soon as my interminable current chain with Mark is 'resolved' :-)

He's credited as 'band witchdoctor and mime' on their first album, Bellybutton. He's given equal billing with the other 3 members and this does raise a philosophical question about how the role of a mime on a recorded work can be reflected, maybe salvation and the avoidance of that discourse can be avoided by relying on the 'we all clapped our hands' addendum to the credits underneath the listing of the 4 main members (including Chris Manning). What do we reckon?
Good question
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
May 8, 2005 - 4:01pm
Does Stacia count as being a member of Hawkwind? She was their dancer and appeared on Space Ritual (which, as a live album, does not strictly count anyway).

As she did not appear on the studio LP's, she can not be credited with being in the band for those LP's. However, in the case of Jellyfish, it all depends, I suppose, whether Manning actually mimed on the studio LP's.
Re: we all clapped our hands
Mark
18 years ago
May 10, 2005 - 7:19pm
Does it really say that?
It certainly does ...
misterpomp
18 years ago
May 11, 2005 - 6:13pm
indeed there's even a corroboration for this with an apropriately quizical question mark after it!

[www.artistdirect.com]
Re: clapping
Mark
18 years ago
May 11, 2005 - 9:35pm
It seems clear from the credits that he's a member. That issue is independent from the second major requirement of appearing on the album. For me, his handclapping is sufficient for his inclusion in this family tree because he is in the band and on the album, albeit in a limited role.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005