Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Bands collaborating with n...

[x] Bands collaborating with no collaboration keyword

Bloopy · 5 replies

[x] Bands collaborating with no collaboration keyword
Bloopy
7 years ago
Jul 25, 2016 - 3:15am
Normally when we come across a collaboration with multiple solo artist names on the cover and no joining 'and'/&/whatever between them, we think of them as being joined by a middle dot - setting a precedent that differs a bit from rule 6a.

So shouldn't we do the same with bands for consistency? Eg. Acid Mothers · Gong collab, not a band called Acid Mothers Gong:
[www.bandtoband.com]

I previously questioned Built To Spill Caustic Resin in queue for that reason.

It gets even more complicated though. You also have Acid Mothers Guru Guru and Acid Mothers Guru Guru Gong, which are a bit different in that they're only made up of one or two members of each of the original bands. So maybe they get a pass if neither Guru Guru nor Gong were ever in one-man band configurations.

To compare it to the examples in the rules, what if it had been Slayer Ice-T? What if Slayer Ice-T only featured one or two members of Slayer? Also, Acid Mothers Gong may go around acting and sounding like a single united band, but no more than Sutherland Brothers & Quiver does.
···
Mark
7 years ago
Nov 3, 2016 - 3:29pm
Somehow I missed this post, so I am sorry about being late to the party. These are great points. Do you have any Solo dot Solo examples handy?
···
pin_punk
7 years ago
Nov 3, 2016 - 4:24pm
Interesting. I think (without having looked through their entire discography) that Acid Mothers Gong and Acid Mothers Guru Guru are ok because, as far as I know, there was no band just called Acid Mothers - they were (are?) Acid Mothers Temple - so whatever words they stick after Acid Mothers it makes a band rather than a collab because Acid Mothers have no prior releases. So it's the equivalent of, say, Slayer Ice or Slayer T (band as Ice or T have no prior releases) rather than Slayer Ice-T (collab).

But Acid Mothers Guru Guru Gong might be different though if both Acid Mothers Guru Guru and Gong have prior releases...

And I agree on that Built To Spill Caustic Resin record - looks like a collab to me.
···
Bloopy
7 years ago
Nov 3, 2016 - 11:13pm
Ah, you're right about Acid Mothers Temple. The live entries all look ok then. Mark, the Solo dot Solo examples I'm talking about are ones like this:
[www.bandtoband.com]

Acid Mothers Guru Guru Gong is about as shambolic as it gets, but I'll tick this thread off as it's basically the same issue I raised here:
[www.bandtoband.com]

So instead of thinking of it as Acid Mothers Guru Guru · Gong, think of it as Acid Mothers · Guru Guru · Gong. It looks like performer Guy Segers is loosely associated with Guru Guru, but not the AcidMothersGuruGuru arrangement, supporting the interpretation.
···
Mark
7 years ago
Nov 4, 2016 - 12:17am
Surely you're right about Built To Spill Caustic Resin.
···
pin_punk
7 years ago
Nov 4, 2016 - 8:18am
Bloopy - yes, that interpretation of Acid Mothers Guru Guru Gong makes much more sense. Not sure why I was trying to split a 3 way collab into a 2 and a 1... I was adding an unnecessary layer of complication to an entry that's already complicated enough!
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005