Forums / Rules Meeting / [x] Additional Characters In A...

[x] Additional Characters In Album Titles

Kevin · 5 replies

[x] Additional Characters In Album Titles
Kevin
17 years ago
May 19, 2006 - 4:41pm
We need to come to a consensus about the use of punctuation in an album title that is not actually present in the artwork. Quite often a title will be extended such as:
[bandtoband.com]

and into it we are inserting punctuation characters to denote text separation that is done with graphical stylization in the artwork. This is something we need to standardize because many submissions are being altered in ways that show that guys are thinking about this and are trying to interprit the situation as best they can but we end up with non universal punctuation.

I will admit that we probably do need to add additional characters in certain circumstances although I'd like to keep it at a minimum so I'd like to see what everyone thinks about the situation, what options are available and possible examples already in the system.

Kevin
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
May 19, 2006 - 5:58pm
I think we've adopted a de facto standard in any case which is that, where an album title has non-conjoined elements which are all required to correctly reflect its title a 'small middle dot' should be used as the separator between each phrase. I can't think of anything neater off the top of my head.

This is a (perhaps the only other) live example
[bandtoband.com]
···
pkasting
17 years ago
May 19, 2006 - 10:52pm
I'd probably prefer a dash since it's more consistent with how much of the world notes these things and therefore more recognizable (seeing the dot makes me think I'm reading two album titles), but the dot isn't terrible.
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
May 20, 2006 - 8:37am
The thing with the 'small middle dot' is that it's so rarely used in titles if ever. Dashes are sometimes used therefore the dot has more chance of always being our character rather than part of the title.
···
pkasting
17 years ago
May 20, 2006 - 11:53pm
Yep, that's definitely the "pro" argument for it. It won't hurt my feelings either way.
···
Mark
17 years ago
May 24, 2006 - 1:20pm
Is there anyone fundamentally opposed to to the dot?

I know we have some instances of colons in there as well. Standardization means there will be some cleanup work to do, but that's all part of the fun.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005