[x] A/B B/A

Python · 10 replies

[x] A/B B/A
Python
13 years ago
Oct 4, 2010 - 9:18pm
Has a decision been made yet whether Faces / Rod Stewart is the same band as Rod Stewart / Faces ? Because right now it looks kinda silly to me to have them both in the DB as two distinct bands.
···
Matt Westwood
13 years ago
Oct 15, 2010 - 7:44pm
IMHO they should all be in as incarnations of "Faces" but this site doesn't work like that ...
···
pin_punk
13 years ago
Oct 15, 2010 - 8:10pm
Personally I'd treat them as the same entity and alias the band name - check out my queue entries for 'To Have And To Hold' and 'Ghosts Of The Civil Dead' by various Nick Cave/Mick Harvey/Blixa Bargeld combinations.

Not sure there's ever been an official ruling though.
···
Matt Westwood
13 years ago
Oct 16, 2010 - 7:38am
Your specific examples lead me to remember that we've had this conversation before. Something like: if the order of names in a collaboration varies, then use the first one and alias the others. But I can't immediately find where we had that conversation.

If we didn't formally make such a ruling, I'd suggest that we do.
···
pin_punk
13 years ago
Oct 16, 2010 - 11:37am
···
shakinghell
13 years ago
Oct 16, 2010 - 11:24pm
···
pin_punk
13 years ago
Oct 21, 2010 - 10:09am
Just noticed there's already a live example of this sort of aliasing in the db (Buckethead & Viggo / Viggo & Buckethead):
[www.bandtoband.com]
···
Mark
13 years ago
Oct 21, 2010 - 1:26pm
Not any more. That was a very old entry (one of my own) and I don't know that it's right anymore. I don't see any reasoning on why I did it that way, so I have removed it.
···
Mark
13 years ago
Oct 22, 2010 - 1:27am
I'm posting this in several places:

[bandtoband.com]
[bandtoband.com]
[bandtoband.com]

Band aliasing is supposed to be limited to just trivial name changes. We've never treated order changes as trivial. As in [www.bandtoband.com] (the last post), B/A and A/B should go into the database as distinct entries. Why? Because they are distinct. A and B could have made sure to release all their albums as either A/B or B/A. But they didn't, and we should document that. Why would we try to force the two bands into one if they didn't bother to do it themselves?
···
pin_punk
13 years ago
Nov 3, 2010 - 2:44pm
Something else to mull over: at the moment we have a few situations when 'X's Y' has a separate entry to the very similarly named 'X And Y' or 'X And The Y' rather than being aliased.

e.g. 'John Mayall's Bluesbreakers' vs 'John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers'
or 'Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia' vs 'Barbara Thompson & Paraphernalia'

Shouldn't these really be aliases of the same band? Or are we saying that the possessive apostrophe S isn't a 'trivial name change' from the 'And/&/With/whatever' connector?
···
Mark
13 years ago
Feb 24, 2011 - 7:24pm
I hear what you're saying, but we've always tried to keep the "trivial name change" category very narrow, so we've intentionally kept those types of examples as distinct entries.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005