[x] 2.0

Python · 5 replies

[x] 2.0
Python
18 years ago
Aug 16, 2005 - 10:30pm
OK, here goes:
Rule 6a: A collaboration is defined as two independent parties, who have both previously released material, performing in conjunction with one another and whose subsequent recorded material is released under the billing of their current band names joined by the keyword "And".

Paul Gilbert is an artist who has released solo material. He also did an album with Jimi Kidd. As far as I know, Jimi Kidd doesn't have any solo releases (I could be wrong though, but I'll just continue anyway). Following rule 6a, they do not BOTH have independant releases so "Paul Gilbert & Jimi Kidd" should be a valid entry. Right? Now let's say Jimi Kidd releases a solo album after his collaboration with Paul Gilbert. Should the album they did together be deleted? And who are the band members on that album? Just Paul and Jimi, the solo artists, or the entire lineup of musicians that recorded the album?
Rule 6 and Deletion
Mark
18 years ago
Aug 16, 2005 - 11:01pm
From our perspective, a collaboration occurs when two "established" groups or musicians (meaning that they've both already released stuff) release something together as a collaborative effort, the key sign of such a release being the dreaded "and" or &" in the name of the band.

Rule 6 knocks out the chronology problem that the old Rule 8c caused: Even if the Solo Artist and the Supporting Band later release separate albums, their old stuff, which was recorded together, still gets into the tree as long as they were not BOTH "established" when they first started recording together. If they break apart later, we'll treat the Supporting Band as an independent band and the Solo Artist as a solo artist on their later stuff.

The case of Solo Artist & Solo Artist is a bit tricky mostly because of Rule 4d. I'm going to think about that one some more.
···
Python
18 years ago
Aug 16, 2005 - 11:22pm
I'm aware of rule 4d but that one's contradicted by the fact that a solo artist is a one-member band. And when we're talking about bands, rule 6 applies....
Jimi Kidd
misterpomp
18 years ago
Aug 17, 2005 - 6:53am
, who is Paul Gilbert's uncle I believe (?), did release a private press solo album many moons ago. This argument seems to me one of the more arcane around (all power to it for that!) so I have no idea whether that helps, hinders or even influences this ...
Uncle Jimi
Python
18 years ago
Aug 17, 2005 - 7:30am
Yeah, he's Paul's uncle. Do you have any info on that album; I can't find anything about it. Anyway, apart from the fact that Jimi did do a solo record I'm sure there are other artists this example applies to.
continued...
Mark
18 years ago
Aug 25, 2005 - 4:17am
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005