Forums / Rules Meeting / [ ] Abbreviations in band name...

[ ] Abbreviations in band names

Python · 4 replies

[ ] Abbreviations in band names
Python
8 years ago
Sep 24, 2015 - 7:47am
I've entered an album in the queue by a band called Diablo Blvd. They've also released an early demo as "Diablo Blvd." (with a dot). So I figured they would have to be Blvd||Blvd. for that release if I decided to enter it.
However, taking [www.bandtoband.com] as an example, shouldn't their primary name be Diablo Boulevard then? After all, a musician known both as Jim and Jimmy also become James...

And if we take the abbreviation in band names a step further: if "Bad Co" can be an alias for "Bad Company", why can't "Sammy And The Wabo's" be an alias for "Sammy Hagar And The Waboritas"?
···
Bloopy
8 years ago
Sep 24, 2015 - 8:28am
I think the key is that the Bad Co one still says Bad Company on the centre labels or cassette itself. Whereas Blvd presumably stays as Blvd if that's how the band always presents their name.
···
Mark
8 years ago
Sep 27, 2015 - 12:30am
Right. I believe another factor with that Bad Company record is that "co" is a long-established common abbreviation of company. Admittedly though it is not a trivial changed recognized in 5a.

Given the very clear center labels, which say "Bad Company" at least three times each, I'm not certain it's even correct to do band name aliasing on that debut record. The cover could be just an aesthetic representation of the band name.

Is wabo a known abbreviation of waborita?
···
Python
8 years ago
Sep 27, 2015 - 10:20am
I've seen sites that call it "Bad Co" by "Bad Company". Calling it "s/t" seems not very consistent to me.

I didn't check the center labels of that record before posting this (there was no evidence in the database entry and I didn't bother to look it up). The main reason for this post was the "Blvd" part and since I don't think "Boulevard" is mentioned anywhere in the liner notes, I think we're good on that one.

As far as the Wabo's go (I know the spelling is not correct), what about this:
[mlb-s1-p.mlstatic.com]

This makes it pretty clear that Wabo's is meant as an abbreviation of Waborita(')s...

By counting this as two different bands, I think we're keeping the number of bands in the tree artificially high. Just like considering Yngwie as two different artists when he uses his middle initial or not.
···
Mark
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2015 - 2:29am
Python, that's a very interesting point about the Hagar live CD. When two different band names appear on an album, we have the new-ish "More Equal" rule at our disposal. Even though the full band name appears just once (that I can see), it does seem possible that the shorthand was used mostly to simplify the artwork, as Scott suggested years ago.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005