[x] Masters

shakinghell · 2 replies

[x] Masters
shakinghell
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2011 - 8:50am
the first Frank Zappa recording, but i'm not sure he was a member:
[www.bandtoband.com]

anyone have any biographies that might clear this up?
···
Matt Westwood
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2011 - 5:53pm
I asked a buddy who knows more about FZ than anyone I know:

"Hi matt,

[globalia.net]

Scroll down to 1961.

Paul Buff owned Pal Studios (which Zappa later bought off him and changed the name of to Studio Z) and was a years ahead of the game multitracking boy genius type. He and Zappa (and others) wrote lots of songs and they were often recorded under different names – so lots of those recordings (often released and charting in local or Californian charts (one tune, Tijuana Surf was a number 1 in Mexico for x number of weeks, for example) aren’t by ‘real bands’, just the equivalent of session bands with new names.

.. this link - [fzsinglesfaq.w-i-s.net]

It seems Zappa isn’t playing on 16 Tons, but is playing on the b-side, Breaktime.

Hope this helps!

Ashley x

Also...

The Ronnie Williams who’s playing bass and drums is the Ronnie from Let’s Make The Water Turn Black..."

So I'm prepared to suggest that if The Masters are a band at all (and by our rules, a bunch of "session men" getting together and calling themselves a band is a band) The Masters *is* a band and on this single there are two lineups, with FZ on the second one.
···
shakinghell
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2011 - 10:29pm
ok, if we're going with this as an inclusive session band, then i agree - 2 lineups, one with FZ.
thanks.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005