Forums / Research / [x] Magnum

[x] Magnum

Harryharryharry · 3 replies

[x] Magnum
Harryharryharry
6 years ago
Oct 6, 2017 - 9:40am
New interview with Tony Clarkin in 'Rock Candy' magazine where he discusses Mark Stanway's role and explicitly says he was not a member, just a session player, for 'On a Storyteller's Night'
···
Mark
6 years ago
Oct 6, 2017 - 5:30pm
Is there any ambiguity in what he said? Check out the top right corner of [www.bandtoband.com]

It's hard to see, but there's no mistaking that Stanway is listed as a member, unlike guest Mo Birch.

One explanation of a discrepancy could be that Stanway played on the album as a non-member and then officially rejoined before the packaging was designed.
···
Harryharryharry
6 years ago
Oct 10, 2017 - 8:51pm
Clarkin does say "at the time" it was recorded after a preamble about how Stanway had previously left so I believe your assumption is probably right. I'll load the text up somewhere as an image and link it here.
···
Harryharryharry
6 years ago
Oct 12, 2017 - 7:53am
Here's the quote.

"Eddie George was never a permanent member of Magnum, so we went to Stanway and asked if he'd play on the album, but he said, "You can't afford me!" He wasn't doing anything else at the time though and, as it happened, we could afford him. So Mark came in to do the album, but he did it purely as a session. He wasn't back in the band yet."
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005