[x] 707

Harryharryharry · 5 replies

[x] 707
Harryharryharry
7 years ago
Aug 6, 2016 - 10:52am
[www.facebook.com]

"A lot of these songs were recorded before Kevin Chalfant came into the fold.
In fact in some cases there were existing vocals by either Me or Phil that were later replaced with Chalf's voice."

I think they were a 3-piece before that record so there might also be recordings from before Tod Howarth joined but that's not mentioned but there are for sure 2 line-ups on there.
···
Harryharryharry
7 years ago
Aug 7, 2016 - 9:52pm
Also looks as if Don Bassey didn't think he was a member on the later record.

[donbassey.com]

"Kevin...hired Don to play bass on a few tracks from his “Trip to Heaven”"
···
Mark
7 years ago
Aug 10, 2016 - 1:54am
I think Howarth was in before the recording began.

In [www.uberrock.co.uk] Howarth says this: "so after two auditions and a few meetings with the guys I joined up and we toured with REO Speedwagon for a few legs of their Hi-Infidelity tour - this would turn out to be the biggest tour (as far as crowds go) I'd ever do."

[kevinrussells707.tripod.com] :
"
As they were recording their second album, the record label discovered that I Could Be Good For You was an FM hit in the Midwest and arranged a tour schedule for the group. Also, REO Speedwagon, who was starting to experience breakout success and who loved 707's sound, asked the band to become part of their Hi Infidelity tour. This lead to the band's first stadium tour and helped to "season" their stage presence.

707 returned to the studio with the addition of Tod Howarth (guitar) and recorded "The Bridge". However, changes were afoot at the record label, due to owner, Neil Bogart's death. The label folded without releasing the third album.

Boardwalk Records signed the group but did not want to release the already finished "The Bridge" and instead opted to record a new album entitled "Megaforce". The corporate heads requested a "front man" and Kevin Chalfant was brought in to handle the role.
"
···
Harryharryharry
7 years ago
Aug 12, 2016 - 10:55pm
I can see you added some 707.

You were right to leave the comilation track as line-up C - that was definitely written for / recorded with the 5 piece - from the facebook page

"OK "MEGAFORCE" Lets talk about it here shall we..

Keith Olsen was called in to produce the song. The title track for film of the same name. Tod,Jim and I wrote this song at my place San Rafael-Marin. Kevin Chalfant was already hired as the new fontman by then.
We wrote this with Kevin's high range in mind."
···
Mark
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2016 - 12:41am
Your posts inspired me to get all the queued items into the live database. We're still missing the second album though.

In the process I listened to some 707 for the first time. I only knew this pseudo-cover (sung by Tod Howarth) of their big hit before that: [www.youtube.com]
···
Harryharryharry
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2016 - 10:10am
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005