Forums / Research / Wallflowers?

Wallflowers?

Mark · 5 replies

Wallflowers?
Mark
18 years ago
Oct 21, 2005 - 1:53am
We could possibly link the Wallflowers into the tree though a guitarist named Yogi, who is currently in the tree as Yogi Chery while I search for his proper name.

[www.wallflowers.com] shows that Yogi arguably joined the Wallflowers as a full-time member, and certainly appeared on one of their songs ("Empire In My Mind"). But was he in the band or just a backup musician?
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Oct 24, 2005 - 9:34pm
Dunno about Yogi, but how about via Pedro/Peter Yanowitz to the band Morningwood, and from there to Cibo Matto via Timo Ellis? Ellis played on CM's "Stereo Type A" which is in the database, but for some reason he's not listed as a band member. He should definitely be added-- see: <http://www.damoon.net/CIBO08.htm> and also these reviews...

[www.dancingaboutarc.com]
[www.penduluminc.com]

(By the way, Duma Love is misspelled as "Duna Lowe" in the database.)

Also, I bet you could get the Wallflowers in via drummer Mario Calire to the band Ozomatli, since Ozomatli has a zillion members...
···
Mark
18 years ago
Oct 25, 2005 - 2:51am
Good call on Timo Ellis. Duma Love has been removed.

[www.wbr.com]
"What I'm proudest of on Stereotype A is the collaboration," says Miho. "It's the product of four people listening all the time." The other two, Sean Lennon and Timo Ellis, were picked up as the band starting heavy-duty touring, and have become invaluable hands in all Cibo Matto endeavors. "Sean and Timo can play any instrument and they can sing," praises Miho. "They were there everyday helping out. This is like a family."

[www.cduniverse.com]
Cibo Matto: Sean Lennon (vocals, acoustic, 12-string & electric guitars, synthesizer, bass, drums, percussion, sound effects); Timo Ellis (vocals, acoustic & electric guitars, 4- & 8-string bass, drums, cymbals, sound effects); Miho Hatori (vocals, acoustic guitar, shaker); Yuka Honda (vocals, acoustic & electric pianos, organ, harpsichord, synthesizer, vocoder, sequencer).
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Oct 26, 2005 - 3:34am
Hmm, having trouble establishing Timo Ellis as a member of Morningwood -- some sites say he was on their first EP, "It's Tits", but he's not even mentioned on the band's website.

[www.synthesis.net]
[www.morningwoodrocks.com]

Well, even if the Morningwood connection doesn't pan out, there's still another Pedro Yanowitz band that will connect to the tree -- the Black Sabbath cover band Hand of Doom.

[www.allmusic.com]
[www.idahomusic.com]

Hand of Doom was led by Melissa Auf Der Maur, in the tree for Hole and the Tube Tops. She should also be included for the Smashing Pumpkins -- she replaced D'Arcy Wretzky as bassist in 1999-2000 and appears on some tracks of "Machina II"...

[en.wikipedia.org]
[www.allmusic.com]
···
Mark
18 years ago
Oct 26, 2005 - 1:10pm
Allmusic and wikipedia are great sites, of course, but I don't know if they're right about Melissa playing on the album. Here's what we have in the notes section of the Machina II entry. I hope the links still work:

--

[www.spfc.org]

Some people think this album was recorded with Melissa Auf Der Mar on bass (replacing D'Arcy), but that is incorrect. D'Arcy left the band in September '99 near the end of the recording for the album and Melissa was announced as the new bassist in November '99. D'Arcy is the only bassist credited on Machina I and it's pretty universally accepted that she was the only bassist during the recording sessions. Machina II lacks credits. The recording sessions that led to the two albums are here:

[www.spfc.org] (Nov. '98 - Oct. '99)

[www.spfc.org] (Nov. '99)

[www.spfc.org] (late '98)

[www.spfc.org] (July 2000)

One could argue that the July 2000 session occurred during Melissa's time in the band, but Billy Corgan generally did most of the band's studio work anyway. When the band did record one last song in late 2000 before breaking up, they did it without Melissa:

[www.blamo.org]

"Untitled", was recorded in Chicago in late November by leader Billy Corgan and the remaining original members of the group, guitarist James Iha and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin. Touring bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur, who replaced original bassist D'arcy Wretzky, did not play on the song. The swaying acoustic rock track debuted November 29 on Chicago alternative station Q101 (WKQX-FM) and later streamed on the station's site exclusively for a month. Now more than 50 stations have played the melancholy swan song
···
Mark
18 years ago
Oct 27, 2005 - 2:11am
I'd love to solve that Auf Der Maur mystery once and for all. Anyone know Billy Corgan? Nice link to the Wallflowers.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005