Forums / Research / Vernon Joynson books

Vernon Joynson books

bgzimmer · 9 replies

Vernon Joynson books
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Mar 25, 2006 - 7:30am
Vernon Joynson wrote two excellent books on psychedelic/garage rock: _The Tapestry of Delights_ (about UK rock) and _Fuzz, Acid & Flowers_ (about US rock). There used to be online editions available on the Borderline Books website, but they've been taken down. Fortunately both books live on courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

[web.archive.org]
[web.archive.org]

Artist entries can be found by clicking on the appropriate letter of the alphabet.
Insane Prices
Kevin
18 years ago
Apr 7, 2006 - 9:39pm
Have you looked up the prices for these books on eBay? $200-300! What the hell?

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
May 17, 2006 - 9:58pm
A new edition of _Fuzz Acid & Flowers_ was published last year, and the new _Tapestry of Delights_ is coming out next week...

_FA&F Revisited_:
[www.amazon.co.uk]
_ToD Revisited_:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Much more affordable than those eBay prices!

(And Amazon says _ToD Revisited_ is 1000 pages... whoa!)
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
Jul 18, 2006 - 4:50pm
I found a working mirror site for Fuzz Acid & Flowers:

[homepage.mac.com]

But for Tapestry of Delights, I think we're still stuck with the Wayback Machine.
Bought
Kevin
17 years ago
Jul 20, 2006 - 12:28am
Consider them purchased. It's going to take a while for them to get over from the UK but I've already put the order in. If there are entries you want looked up once I get them in, let me know.

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
Jul 20, 2006 - 2:03am
It'll be interesting to see how extensively the original editions of the books (as reflected in the online versions) have been revised. The online stuff is decent (and sometimes the only lineup info out there, except when it's copied directly by Alex Gitlin), but there were still plenty of errors. Let's hope they're a bit more reliable now.
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
Feb 13, 2007 - 7:37pm
Damn... the versions of FA&F and ToD archived by the Wayback Machine are no longer available ("blocked by the site owner via robots.txt"). Well, it was great while it lasted. Anyone know of any other archived versions? Guess I'll have to actually buy the books now!
Tapestry
Kevin
17 years ago
Feb 14, 2007 - 5:14am
I've got Tapestry myself (it is a monster) but never did get the other one delivered. Oh well. I have noticed some mistakes in Tapestry although it is at least a decent source to turn to for verification.

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
16 years ago
Jul 22, 2007 - 6:47am
Finally found working mirrors for the old Joynson sites:

[alextsu.narod.ru]
[alextsu.narod.ru]

(I guess Russia's outside the long arm of copyright law.)
···
bgzimmer
16 years ago
Nov 9, 2007 - 4:13pm
Just noticed that the Russian site has archived yet another Joynson resource, "Dreams, Fantasies & Nightmares" (Canadian / Australian / New Zealand and Latin American psych and garage music 1963 - 1976):

[alextsu.narod.ru]

Unfortunately they haven't archived Christopher Williams' "Adrift in the Ether" (UK underground psych of the '80s and '90s), which also used to be available on the Borderline Books site. The book itself is out of print and sells for 70-80 bucks:

[www.amazon.com]

And somewhere out there is a torrent including all four books:

[thepiratebay.org]
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005