Forums / Research / The Controllers (and other ear...

The Controllers (and other early LA punk)

bgzimmer · 3 replies

The Controllers (and other early LA punk)
bgzimmer
17 years ago
Feb 17, 2007 - 4:51am
I was hoping to submit these albums by The Controllers:

[www.thecontrollers.net]
[www.thecontrollers.net]

They connect via Johnny Stingray of Kaos, who is currently in simply as an alias and therefore not connectable. I haven't had any luck finding his real name or those of his bandmates:

Kid(d) Spike
DOA Dan
Charlie Trash

The only real name I've been able to find is for "Maddog", alias of Karla Duplantier:

[www.laweekly.com]

Kidd Spike went on to play with The Gears, whose other original members were:

Axxel G. Reese
Brian Redz
Dave Drive

Kidd Spike also joined up with Karla "Maddog" Duplantier and Billy Bones of the Skulls to form Skull Control. Other members of the Skulls (Bruce & Marc Moreland, Chas Gray) went on to form Wall of Voodoo, already in the db.

Real name of Billy Bones is Steve Fortuna, according to:
[www.cduniverse.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]

So it would be nice to get these bands in, but besides Duplantier and Fortuna all I see are aliases. I emailed Johnny Stingray using the address on the Controllers website but haven't heard anything back. If real names aren't forthcoming, then I guess we'd need to put the aliases in as primary names, or at least the ones needed to connect the bands (e.g., Johnny Stingray, Kidd Spike).

Anyone have good sources on these bands?
···
Jasoon
17 years ago
Feb 17, 2007 - 3:43pm
Not much luck here, either. But I found Maddog's site which gives Kid(d) Spike's name:

[maddogx_78.tripod.com]
"CONTROLLERS:1977-1979

THEY WERE STARTED BY KID SPIKE( JEFF AUSTIN ) AND JOHNNY STINGRAY IN THE SUMMER OF 1977."
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
Feb 18, 2007 - 3:22am
Awesome, thanks.
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
Aug 6, 2007 - 5:46am
Still haven't been able to find Johnny Stingray's real name (no answer to my email). Should we put that in as his primary name, to get the Kaos/Controllers connection working? Also no luck with Charlie Trash or D.O.A. Danny.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005