Forums / Research / Source suggestions for researc...

Source suggestions for research

paperxwalls · 3 replies

Source suggestions for research
paperxwalls
18 years ago
Apr 8, 2006 - 2:43am
I was wondering what everyone here generally uses for their sources when doing research for release dates, band lineups and such?

(Apologies in advance, by the way, if this has been posted before).

I've got a few places I look into, such as:

CDuniverse.com
ArtistDirect.com
All Music Guide
Discogs.com
actual CD booklets/LP inserts (if I own the album)
band websites/Myspace pages (specifically band history or discography pages)
Amazon.com
Label sites

I've noticed these seem to be basic sources that others use too. I was just wondering if perhaps there's any other websites out there that would list full album info (including release dates and lineups), anything else besides these to use as valid sources? I'm drawing a blank on anything else to use and I'd hate to think that these are the ONLY places to do research for b2b.
···
Mark
18 years ago
Apr 8, 2006 - 3:39am
I believe that CDuniverse gets its lineup information from Muze, which is the same source that jr.com and the non-auction music items on ebay use. Even when CDuniverse is missing something, those other two might have it.

For scans of obscure stuff I use

musicstack.com
popsike.com (this is especially good for older stuff)
ebay.com (of course)

If you have a URL that is no longer working, [web.archive.com] and google cache are the great sources.
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Apr 8, 2006 - 4:17am
For obscure cover scans there's also eil.com.
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Apr 15, 2006 - 8:36pm
I believe I've posted my metal research sites in the past, so I'll not reiterate them, but in general, most genres have some good fan-made encyclopedic sorts of sites that are often better than the larger cduniverse.com et. al.

Also remember to take anything in the big sites, ESPECIALLY All Music Guide, with a big grain of salt. Their focus is coverage, not accuracy, and they're wrong a scary amount of the time.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005