Forums / Research / Sahara Blue Orchestra

Sahara Blue Orchestra

Ruiter · 2 replies

Sahara Blue Orchestra
Ruiter
18 years ago
May 13, 2006 - 12:06pm
Recently I've added the new supergroup Slow Music to the queue, which includes Hector Zazou. Now, Zazou once produced an album with the so-called Sahara Blue Orchestra.
[www.amazon.de]
On the cover of the album it says this orchestra 'stars':

John Cale, Gerard Depardieu, Khaled, Anneli Drecker, Dominique Dalcan, Bill Laswell, Tim Simenon, Barbars Louise Gogan, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Samy Birnbach, Nabil Khalidi, Renault PionGuy Sigsworth, Suwan Deihim, John Cale, Vincent Kenis, Lightwave, Malka Spigel, Kent Condon, Steve Shehan, Denis Moulin, Christian Lechevretel, Richard Bohringer, Elisabeth Valetti, Yuka Fujii, Gilles Martin, Kenji Jammer, Daniel Ycenec, Keith Leblanc, Ketema Mekonn, Lisa Gerrard, Brendan Perry and David Sylvian.

Does anyone have a source that distinguishes guests from the actual line-up of the orchestra?
My bet is that all are guests
ajweitzman
18 years ago
May 13, 2006 - 8:20pm
The most common description of the these folks is as follows:

"[T]he album, based on the work of the French poet Arthur Rimbaud and performed by the Sahara Blue Orchestra stars David Sylvian, Bill Laswell, Khaled, Dead Can Dance, Gérard Depardieu among other guests."

(See [worldmusic.nationalgeographic.com] for one of the many places this quote comes up.)

My guess is that the Saraha Blue Orchestra is Hector Zazou, and that anyone else who got to play on the album is a guest.
Heartbreaking
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
May 13, 2006 - 9:19pm
I had that when researching the Mandalaband: The Eye Of Wendor - practically the whole of Manchester 1970's (Barclay James Harvest, Ten cc, Sad Cafe) were on it, but everyone was a guest except the one guy who didn't connect to the db in any other way. So it never got onto the db at all.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005