[ ] Listen My Brother

Ruiter · 1 reply

[ ] Listen My Brother
Ruiter
6 years ago
Jan 19, 2018 - 12:37am
Looking for a full lineup of this group:
[muppet.wikia.com]
"Listen My Brother is the name of a musical ensemble that performed several times on Sesame Street during its early seasons. The ensemble was made up of 16 youngsters from New York City ... One of the members of the group was Luther Vandross, who sang lead vocals on "You Gotta Learn" and who later became a noted solo artist. Other members included Carlos Alomar, Robin Clark and Fonzi Thornton"

they released a single in 1969:
[www.discogs.com]
[www.youtube.com]

here they are in Sesame Street (10-piece lineup, other clips have an 11-piece choir):
[www.youtube.com]
partial lineup in comments:
- Nat Adderley, Jr. - keyboards (went to Performing Arts High School with Luther Vandross, arranged Vandross' "Never Too Much", 1981 and went on to be Luther's musical director until the end)
- Carlos Alomar - guitar (best known for work with David Bowie)
- Woody Denard - drums
- Frank Prescott - bass
- Edgar Kendricks - lead vocals
- Robin Clark - vocals in orange dress (Carlos Alomar's then wife-to-be, best known for Young Americans, work with Simple Minds & Chic)
- Fonzi Thornton- singer in blue shirt
- Bruce Wallace-singer in red shirt
- Elaine Clark-singer in yellow dress
also:
- Patrick Adams is mentioned as the 19 year-old songwriter, not sure if he's part of the group

Vandross bio mentions a couple of other members:
[itunes.apple.com]
- Anthony Hinton
- Diane Sumler
···
Ruiter
6 years ago
Jan 19, 2018 - 1:16am
This historic source suggests a 13-piece lineup:
[archive.org]
"a unique group, known as Listen My Brother, consist-
ing of 13 young singers from Harlem, will have its first single released later this month. Giving the single a major kickoff during an appearance on the David Frost Show on October 26th, the group will cut an LP later this year for release in early 1970."
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005