Forums / Research / Keeping up with the Gloria Jon...

Keeping up with the Gloria Joneses

shakinghell · 3 replies

Keeping up with the Gloria Joneses
shakinghell
7 years ago
Oct 8, 2016 - 4:47am
We have Gloria Jones (US 1):
[en.wikipedia.org]
Most famously known for her version of 'Tainted Love' and also from her relationship with Bolan and T. Rex.
Her wikipedia page links her to the Cogics.
This 1969 Rolling Stone article links her to Brothers & Sisters of LA: [www.rollingstone.com]

We also have (US 1) as being in the Jerry Garcia band but not seeing any great sources for this. Can anyone else find anything?

--

We have Gloria Jones (US 2) in the queue for a band 'Aquarian Dream'.
[www.soulwalking.co.uk]
This says (US 1) was in Aquarian Dream, but other websites say they are different people).

--

There was also a Gloria Jones in The Blossoms, who is (US 3) for now. The Blossoms wikipedia page disambigs her from the (US 1):
[en.wikipedia.org]
"Gloria Jones (not the same Gloria Jones who later became famous for "Tainted Love")"
... though the wikipedia page of (US 1) links her to the Blossoms in a roundabout way:
"In 1968, she joined the cast of Catch My Soul, a rock and soul version of the play Othello, which included cast members Jerry Lee Lewis, The Blossoms, and Dr. John."
Also this book about Bolan says that (US 1) sang on a track on the Phil Spector Christmas album that the Blossoms were on:
[books.google.com.au]
Still, pretty sure that Blossoms Jones is different from (US 1) as discogs has some specific birth date/place info about her: [www.discogs.com]

Are these really 3 different people?
···
shakinghell
7 years ago
Oct 8, 2016 - 10:16pm
I found this interesting thread where someone is adamant that (US 1) and (US 3) are the same person until Gloria Jones (US 3) steps into the conversation. Both are pretty closely linked so I understand the confusion:
[www.facebook.com]
"Chris Roberts, there are 2 Gloria Jones. I am Gloria Jones of The Blossoms, never been involved with Marc Bolan or recorded with Motown Records,and definitely not a songwriter... I have 3 children and I Donot live in Africa.....Gloria R. Jones is younger and sang in the Cogics with Edna Wright,sister of Darlene (Wright) Love , of The Blossoms...We were recording as early as 1954 as students at Fremont High School in Los Angeles...We were both in 20 Feet [From Stardom, the doco]...I was with Darlene Love and Fanita James and Gloria R. Jones had her spot... No research needed, I know who I am, and we look nothing alike... Check out my page Original Gloria Jones."

Don't know where that leaves Aquarian Dream but possibly that's a third GJ.
···
Bloopy
7 years ago
Oct 10, 2016 - 1:37am
'Original Gloria Jones' on Facebook is friends with Aquarian Dream associate Norman Connors, who's tagged in this post:

[www.facebook.com]

Suggests just the 2. Will give it a listen later to see if that provides a match. edit: Aquarian Dream is kinda from a different era, so might only be resolved by asking someone in the know.
···
Mark
7 years ago
Oct 13, 2016 - 2:51am
(US 1), Gloria Richetta Jones, was born in Cincinnati and spent much of her life in Los Angeles, according to [en.wikipedia.org]

(US 2) is a mystery. [www.dubman.eu] says that the band was from New York.

(US 3) seems to have gone to high school in Los Angeles and spent the rest of her life living near that area. But she's not (US 1), as clearly shown in the post by [www.facebook.com]

(US 4): [www.melvinsealsandjgb.com] and [www.melvinsealsandjgb.com] tell us that she is close friends with two church singers from Oakland. Sure enough, [www.facebook.com] is an Oakland-based Gloria Y. Jones, obviously a musician or singer (see the video section), who is Facebook friends with both.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005