Forums / Research / A lead on Johnny T

A lead on Johnny T

Ruiter · 3 replies

A lead on Johnny T
Ruiter
17 years ago
Dec 22, 2006 - 9:07pm
I have suspicions that 'Johnny T' of Levitation is actually called John Taylor.

1. [en.wikipedia.org]
"Johnny T (a violinist from the Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra)"

2. Found this on Google, unfortunately the link doesn't work:
NESTA John Taylor profile
John Taylor Fellowship London £74903 over three years from November 2003 ... John is one of the original members of the Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra. ...
www.nesta.org.uk/ourawardees/profiles/4015/04_milestones.html - 33k

3. The Reggae Philharmonic appears on the Maxi Priest album 'Bonafide", which also credits a John Taylor for strings:
[www.allmusic.com]

Perhaps there's another way to confirm this?
···
Mark
17 years ago
Dec 22, 2006 - 10:23pm
In google, click on the link that says "cached" right below the paragraph you found, and you'll see the page as google recorded it. It doesn't mention Levitation at all, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

--

John Taylor
Fellowship
London
£74,903 over three years from November 2003

“This symphony will be a personal and creative springboard and an artistic calling card.”

Milestones
This section contains a brief, at-a-glance view of the awardee and their project. For more detailed information on recent developments since the making of the NESTA award, go to the 'What's new' page.

Aged seven, John starts learning the violin, his first musical instrument. “I always had a love of music,” he says. “The first thing everyone hears is their mother’s heart beating, the same beat that’s behind rhythm and blues.”

Aged 10, John is accepted as a junior student at Trinity College of Music, London. Later he becomes a violinist in the London Schools Symphony Orchestra. “In those days the education authorities provided lessons and instruments,” he says. “It meant I could get weekly tuition at an early age.”

1980s
John is one of the original members of the Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra.

While still at school, John appears on Special AKA’s ‘War Crimes’ video.

He graduates with BA Honours degree in Commercial Music from the University of Westminster.

John plays on Linton Kwesi Johnson and the Dennis Bovell Dub Band’s USA tour.

He remixes Tom Brown’s Jamaica Funk. John also remixes and provides string arrangement for Toni Braxton’s Freeway. Provides string arrangement for Tymes4’s Electricity.

November 2003
The NESTA Fellowship begins. “NESTA will be key to unlocking my inner ‘symphonic beast’,” John says. “The symphony will encapsulate what it’s like to live as a descendent of the diaspora, paying homage to the ancestors of today’s musical genres.”
···
Ruiter
17 years ago
Dec 29, 2006 - 2:18pm
OK, great. I think we can be sure now, because Johnny T. is credited as the violin player on Linton Kwesi Johnston's 2004 live album 'Live in Paris', which also features the Dennis Bovell Dub Band:
[www.allmusic.com]
On this page he is credited as Johnny Taylor on violin, for the 2002 album LKJ in Dub Volume 3:
[www.lkjrecords.com]
···
Mark
17 years ago
Dec 29, 2006 - 11:12pm
I agree.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005