Forums / Off The Wall / Oh, Lordi ...

Oh, Lordi ...

Matt Westwood · 11 replies

Oh, Lordi ...
Matt Westwood
17 years ago
May 20, 2006 - 10:46pm
Eurovision Song Contest just won by a halfway respectable death metal act from Finland who secured a galloping victory.

I always knew there was hope for the world.
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
May 20, 2006 - 11:23pm
I nearly died laughing. Not at the sub-Europe/Scorps addled heavy rock but at the lyrics. I'd heard "It's the Arockolypse..." before in other songs but "On the day of rockoning..." nearly caused me to choke on my own laughter.
Well yeah, okay ...
Matt Westwood
17 years ago
May 20, 2006 - 11:38pm
... it *was* unbelievably amusing hokum, but light years better than some tedious old second rate rapper surrounded by a bunch of distastefully arrayed jailbait ...

Shame though, I was rather taken by the Bosnian entry - rather hoped that would win.

(Look, my wife wanted to watch it, and she was providing me with food at the time, so my free will was kinda compromised, okay?)
···
pkasting
17 years ago
May 20, 2006 - 11:49pm
I'm just amused at hearing Lordi called "death metal" :)

(In fairness, I don't know what I would call them. Probably some form of Heavy/Power Metal. Maybe "monster metal" :D)
···
Python
17 years ago
May 21, 2006 - 7:53am
Yeah, it's not exactly death metal :)
I only saw Las Ketchup, and man, that was horrible. During the semi-finals I also saw Belgium's entry and I knew instantly we wouldn't make it to the finals. Can you believe it was front page news on all papers that we didn't make it to the finals? Gee... get a life.

BTW, anyone tried to get them into the db? I tried before without success; the biggest problem is getting hold of their real names...
···
pkasting
17 years ago
May 21, 2006 - 8:16pm
I haven't tried, but I did read an article yesterday with the real name of the lead singer in it, that that should be findable at least...
···
pkasting
17 years ago
May 22, 2006 - 5:11pm
[www.diggiloo.net] has the real names of four of the five current members (no info on past members + their real names, though).
···
Bloopy
7 years ago
Jun 26, 2016 - 10:51pm
I queued up a path to Lordi. Only 10 years late on this thread.
···
Matt Westwood
7 years ago
Jul 3, 2016 - 8:20pm
Nice one. Good job.
···
Bloopy
3 years ago
Aug 1, 2020 - 9:36pm
Only another 4 years later and the path to Lordi is all verified and waiting to be slapped live!
···
Ruiter
3 years ago
Aug 14, 2020 - 6:26am
Hallelujah!
Intelligent Music Pr
Ruiter
2 years ago
Apr 2, 2022 - 3:01pm
Another hard rock attempt, although a bit more serious (and pretentious, I reckon):
[eurovision.tv]
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005