Forums / Off The Wall / Musical Interests

Musical Interests

kribbit · 6 replies

Musical Interests
kribbit
18 years ago
Nov 20, 2005 - 7:02pm
So what kinds of music do you all listen to? Or is it basically the same as the stuff you research/submit here?
Excellent question
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Nov 20, 2005 - 8:09pm
In approximate order I think of them ...

Soft Machine and the general avant-garde / jazz-rock electronic thang from Gong 'n' Hawkwind to Tangerine Dream
King Crimson and related spiky-edged sharp stuff
Shostakovich
Bach (J.S.)
Beethoven
Varese
Zappa (we are not worthy)
1970's British punk
Fairport Convention and the British folk scene (look, I have an excuse, I *am* British)
Live events on the Reading (UK) scene

Could go on forever. Currently working my way through (hopefully to completion) the 1960's brit-pop scene. Yeah, big tall order, but hey, it's out there, it's gotta be done ...
···
Python
18 years ago
Nov 20, 2005 - 9:54pm
Hard rock and heavy metal. Nothing really extreme but everything in between.

I've transferred about 90% of my CD's to MP3; this is the entire list:
[users.pandora.be]
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Nov 20, 2005 - 10:50pm
404 on Python's link.

Rock/metal/electronic, as long as it's highly melodic. Celldweller, Soilwork, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, BT, The Crystal Method, Impellitteri, Nightwish, Narnia, and MANY others. I listen to music many hours a day and am constantly downloading stuff to sort through and trach or else put on my wishlist. I have a pretty insane wishlist :D
···
Python
18 years ago
Nov 22, 2005 - 4:09pm
Rats, it was .html instead of .htm; should work now:

[users.pandora.be]
Let's see...
ajweitzman
18 years ago
Nov 23, 2005 - 6:01am
80s new wave/post-punk (Art Of Noise, The Police, Talking Heads, New Order, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Pixies, Wire, English Beat, The Smiths, B-52's, The Clash, Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush)

80s pop/rock (Prince, U2, Men At Work, INXS, The Cult, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Billy Squier, Pat Benatar)

80s synthpop (Duran Duran, A Flock Of Seagulls, Thomas Dolby, The Human League, Yaz, Pet Shop Boys, Men Without Hats)

4AD (Cocteau Twins, Colourbox, Throwing Muses, Lush, Wolfgang Press, This Mortal Coil)

Electro/Old-skool rap (Planet Patrol, Afrika Bambaataa, Sugarhill Gang, Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys)

Industrial dance/electronic body music (Front 242, Ministry, Tackhead, Nine Inch Nails, Meat Beat Manifesto, Cabaret Voltaire, Skinny Puppy, Mark Stewart, Pop Will Eat Itself)

Alternative (REM, Sinead O'Connor, They Might Be Giants, The Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Tori Amos, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, The White Stripes)

Indie (Stereolab, Unrest, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Electrelane, Sigur Ros, Bloc Party, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Maximo Park, The Dead 60s, Death From Above 1979, Clor)

"Intelligent" dance music (Aphex Twin, Autechre, Atom(tm), µ-Ziq, LFO, Luke Vibert, Squarepusher)

Techno (The Orb, Orbital, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, Moby, Daft Punk, Fatboy Slim, Leftfield)

Discopunk (The Rapture, LCD Soundsystem, !!!, Out Hud, Chicks On Speed)

Classic rock (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Van Halen)

Plunderphonics (Negativland, John Oswald, Tape-beatles, Jason Forrest)

Weird/ambient/drone/noise (Hafler Trio, Nurse With Wound, Throbbing Girstle, Coil, Pan Sonic, Zoviet France, Einstürzende Neubauten, Rapoon)

Kraftwerk (let's face it, they're a category all by themselves)

Björk (so is she)

I like other stuff that doesn't really fit into those categories (Metallica, Peter Gabriel, Donna Summer, "Weird Al" Yankovic, etc.), but the above bands make up the majority of my music collection.
···
kribbit
18 years ago
Nov 29, 2005 - 10:55pm
Wow, you guys have that down, I like so much stuff I have a hard time answering that question myself. I also tend to go in waves depending on moods or seasons or something... maybe that's a chick thing? HAHA

Anyhow, I've been out of town a bit, I'll try and jump back into the swing of things shortly.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005