Forums / Off The Wall / Hello from Google!

Hello from Google!

pkasting · 3 replies

Hello from Google!
pkasting
18 years ago
Apr 15, 2006 - 8:39pm
This past week I started a new job at Google, working on Firefox. So hi again (I've been away from the site almost two weeks...) and if there are any brilliant things you guys can think of re: cool projects I could dedicate my spare time to (I already thought of pulling B2B in-house, but I don't think I can get approval :D), let me know.
···
ben_stumpf
18 years ago
Apr 16, 2006 - 5:53am
congratulations and welcome back
Wow
Kevin
18 years ago
Apr 17, 2006 - 7:32pm
Working at Google? Congratulations, that's awesome. Are you working at the main headquarters? I've seen photos of the crazy employee areas and just wanted to know if the rumors were true.

If Google ever opens up a music store like iTunes (I thought I heard rumors) we'll have to talk. Until then see if you can make Google automatically troll sites for bands/albums we don't have in the system so they could be added in an automative way. That would be unreal.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Apr 17, 2006 - 8:55pm
Yes, and yes. As for auto-trolling... I was thinking you'd have to write some kind of data-slurper/merger that would be custom-made for each different encyclopedic site, and then merge the data from different sites together. You'd start by writing the necessary stuff for a few big DBs and then pull in more as you had time to write more. The problem with this is that it basically just aggregates the existing data from the big DBs, which isn't necessarily accurate. But it can give you a LOT to start with.

Anyway, I don't have any particular plans to actually DO this sort of thing, but it came idly to mind.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005