Forums / Off The Wall / Have you seen two different ba...

Have you seen two different bands with the exact same name live?

Bloopy · 3 replies

Have you seen two different bands with the exact same name live?
Bloopy
1 year ago
Jan 13, 2023 - 5:01am
I don't mean at the same concert, just in general... but it would be amusing if multiple bands with the same name have ever deliberately toured together.

I keep a database of all the bands I've seen in concert. I just store them by artist name & country, since I figured the chance of seeing two bands with the same name from the same country was particularly slim. It's faster and simpler to enter them that way. But in the last couple of years I started to notice a trend of New Zealand artists popping up with the same name as older NZ artists I already knew of. Then it happened: I saw a band from Christchurch named Radium live last year. A mere 5 years since I saw Radium from Auckland in concert.

My solution? I used a suffix, of course. I only gave the newer Radium a city suffix, but if I see them a 2nd time I'll use a suffix for the older one instead for being a lesser-seen flash in the pan. NZ province abbreviations hardly get any use here so let's just hope this never happens with a band from a small town.

Before anyone says it, I wouldn't count the likes of L.A. Guns here. I'd say either count them all as the same band, or if one iteration later rebranded (eg. "Riley's L.A. Guns") and you saw them again, then you could retroactively count all the times you saw that iteration under Riley's L.A. Guns. Much cleaner than B2B. ;)
···
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Jan 22, 2023 - 10:40pm
I didn't see any of the shows, but in 2012, The Beat (US) and The Beat (UK) played together on "The Two Beats Hearting As One Tour." (Technically, I think it was billed as "Paul Collins' Beat" and "The English Beat," but still.)

Too bad the British and Canadian Subhumans never toured together.
···
scott
1 year ago
Feb 28, 2023 - 5:22pm
In 1993 my band did a US tour. One of the first shows (May 30) was in Los Angeles, CA with Driftwood:
[bandtoband.com]

Almost exactly a month later (June 29,) in Rapid City, SD, we played with another Driftwood:
[bandtoband.com]
···
Bloopy
1 year ago
Apr 3, 2023 - 3:00am
It almost kinda happened to me again, but this time with rappers seen less than 5 years apart. ¥oung Gho$t based in Auckland and Young Gho$t based in Wellington. I hadn't actually realised it was a different guy down here until now. Though they're originally from China and the UK respectively, with the yuan symbol giving away which is which. The UK guy didn't start making music until after he moved to NZ, and he performed with a backing band, so maybe I'll count that one as an NZ act for now.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005