Forums / Off The Wall / General website question

General website question

Kevin · 10 replies

General website question
Kevin
19 years ago
Apr 21, 2005 - 11:01pm
What other sites do people here frequent? For example, my daily staple include the NYTimes, Slashdot, and a few others but it would be intesting to see what other sites people like for whatever reason...

Kevin
Websites
KateUK
19 years ago
Apr 22, 2005 - 6:19am
Well I have my home page set to BBC news (UK edition of course!)

This is quite interesting though
[www.deadoraliveinfo.com_]

Kate
MathWorld
Matt Westwood
19 years ago
Apr 22, 2005 - 6:50am
... as I'm busy writing a mathematics textbook and there's a wealth of fascinating little backwaters in there about things you wouldn't believe were anything to do with finding out how many men it would take to dig a ditch in 3 days if it takes 5 men ... bleah.

Then there's GIMPS which gives a running update on the latest status of Mersenne numbers, of which I have ascertained the fact that 20 of them are not prime (damn).

And someone somewhere accused you lot of being geeky?
Sites
Kevin
19 years ago
Apr 22, 2005 - 7:02am
I definitely have the BBC (world that is) on my news site list plus the Guardian which I definitely hit about once a day. Along with the Economist magazine those are always good choices to check out an outside perspective on how crazy the US really is since we don't seem to ever notice. Plus I like to tune in and see how the Champions League is panning out. Since both Real and Barcelona are out I've got to pull for Liverpool since the Chelsea manager is a creep and I'd hate to see the Italians win another one, they are just too boring.

Speaking of primes did anyone ever confirm the proof for the Riemann Hypothesis? I thought I read about a proof somewhere but it seemed speculative and I never saw a follow up on it so I guess it was bogus.

Kevin
Sites
KateUK
19 years ago
Apr 22, 2005 - 7:56am
Yes the Guardian is always worth a look, and I like to look at Michael Moore's site and The Onion when I have time. Metal Sludge is worth a laugh sometimes.
Maths and sport, you can keep those! I belong to a zillion Yahoo groups (some rock oriented and some for other topics such as beadwork - since we're being boring and geeky) and in fact it wqas from the Georgia Satellites Yahoo group that I found out about this site (of all places!)
Ebay gets a daily look since I both buy and sell.
Otherwise I mainly look at wherever my fancy takes me at the time or stuff that other people say "this is worth looking at".

Kate
Riemann
Matt Westwood
19 years ago
Apr 22, 2005 - 8:33am
Last I heard the proof of the Riemann hypothesis is "imminent" but there's a lot of filling in the gaps to be done before it's confirmed. Other people believe the approach taken in this proof is fundamentally flawed, and useless. Others fervently believe that a counterexample will be found.

I'm on the side of the proof being established soon. I have an intuitive gut feeling, like I did with Fermat and the Four-Colour.
other sites
Ben
19 years ago
Apr 22, 2005 - 10:01am
I usually visit allmusic.com, some musiczines & music forums, myspace.com, notcoolclub, some blogs (mainly ben weasels & dr. franks) and ebay too. yeah.
I think I'm on the computer too often, but theres so much interesting stuff.
···
pkasting
19 years ago
Apr 23, 2005 - 5:35am
[www.shacknews.com] , specifically, I hang out in the "latest chatty" thread (not under this username though).
···
Python
19 years ago
Apr 23, 2005 - 8:16am
I usually go for www.laguns.net, www.melodicrock.com and www.tweakers.net. Oh yeah, and eBay of course; I spend way too much money there...
Music sites
KateUK
19 years ago
Apr 23, 2005 - 9:02am
Re: Music Sites
Mark
19 years ago
Apr 23, 2005 - 4:30pm
I really do spend all my time on this site. Even when I'm not adding bands, I keep checking to see if Kevin added any. For "research" purposes, I've found [www.discogs.com] and [www.musicstack.com] to be surprisingly useful sites as far as album covers are concerned. I also read [randomwalks.com] from time to time.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005