A/S/L

shakinghell · 17 replies

A/S/L
shakinghell
16 years ago
Mar 27, 2008 - 9:58am
I'm sure this has been done numerous times in different ways, but i was just wondering what your names, age, where you're from, what you're adding to the database and a little bit about yourself?

i'm zac, 24, a vegan punk living in brisbane, australia. i'm moving back to adelaide in a couple of days (that's where my family is and where i grew up) and i've also lived in melbourne and will probably move back there one day. i've played guitar, bass and yelled in a few bands (one of which has a release queued) and i worked out today that i've played at least one show every year since 1998 (though none yet in 2008).

i'm trying to add all of my album collection to the database and adding lots of australian stuff, especially diy punk-type bands and friends' bands.
like probably everyone else, i listen to lots of different music. at the moment i'm going through a stoner/drone/noisy-heaviness phase (sleep, eyehategod, corrupted, skullflower, whitehorse). my favourite bands/artists would be zeni geva, sonic youth and dj shadow. i also love the films of akira kurosawa. my current dream job would be to work in a library.

your turn...
···
misterpomp
16 years ago
Mar 27, 2008 - 5:30pm
Stephen (42) Warrington England. Adding mostly hard/classic rock/AOR/pomp - in line with my tastes. Recently I have been listening to Magnum (UK) and John Miles. My dream job - manager Burnley FC.
···
Python
16 years ago
Mar 27, 2008 - 7:49pm
I'm Jan, 30, currently living in Ghent, Belgium. By the end of the year I'm moving back to the town I grew up in; 15 kms from here.

I mostly add hard rock and metal and also as many Belgian bands I can link to the db.

The last 6 years I've worked as a software engineer in an IT company; mainly designing administrative software for our clients.
Matt Westwood
Matt Westwood
16 years ago
Mar 27, 2008 - 9:34pm
Mathematician / software engineer age 47 from Reading UK who would have been a rock star in another life but makes do with the occasional bout of stand-up comedy and performance poetry. Am preparing to perform a couple of numbers (fade away and radiate, hanging on the telephone) at a Blondie tribute gig at beginning of May, having participated in a Beatles one and a Zappa one last year. Eclectic tastes; my main efforts on this site were the Canterbury scene (Soft Machine, Caravan etc.) and the 60's British pop / rock scene, but I'm running out of inspiration as to what to research next, so I'm not as busy as I used to be. All entries, however dire, deserve equal status on this site, of course.
···
scott
16 years ago
Mar 28, 2008 - 2:50am
I have lived on both coasts here in the US and now reside in rural Ohio where i'm an attorney representing poor people in civil cases (doing lots of foreclosure work these days.)

I played in a few bands and toured the US and parts of Canada a few times. I have a special love for early 90s non-metal hardcore. And the 80s stuff as well.

Now i live with my wife and our four month old little dude.
···
felldownawell
16 years ago
Mar 28, 2008 - 3:47am
Tom, 31, Chicago, office & systems manager for a medical group. Zero musical ability. I ended my fourth stint working at a record store about a year ago. The wife worked in three record stores herself.

Right now, I'm mostly adding stuff from our collection as I very slowly catalog it. My stuff is mostly post-punk and 90's hardcore & indie rock. The wife's is mostly alt-country & blues.
···
pin_punk
16 years ago
Mar 28, 2008 - 10:50am
Adam, 26 from Edinburgh, Scotland. I'm a fundraiser for an animal conservation charity, but in spite of that I'm an unrepentant carnivore! I have not a musical bone in my body. As of this month I am now living in wedded bliss.

Like everyone else I'd like to see my entire music collection represented here. I mostly add punk stuff (but that's pretty well covered by a few others) and British rock/pop/indie from the last two decades, and I reckon I can expand the modern Scottish scene a bit.

Random selection of current favourites: The Replacements, The Hold Steady, The Weakerthans, Screeching Weasel. And I worship the ground that Nick Cave walks on.
···
mikehaley
16 years ago
Mar 28, 2008 - 7:30pm
Mike Haley, 27, Wilmington Delaware. I work at a print shop and just got a ticket in the shitty state of New Jersey about two hours ago. I used to run a label called The Electric Human Project... I guess I still do, but hardly any effort is put into it. I also do a solo-noise project called Wether. I add alot of noise/experimental stuff to the database, and diy punk stuff. Lately I've been trying to get as much local Delaware stuff up I can.
···
ben_stumpf
16 years ago
Apr 3, 2008 - 7:05pm
Ben Stumpf, 24, originally from Nashua, NH but I've been in Brooklyn, NY for the past 3 years and I lived in Manhattan for a year before that. I've been trying to get myself in the database for a couple of years, but no luck yet (although I have a bunch of stuff in my queue). I spend most of my free time working on this site and have since the beginning of 2005. Apparently i'm the youngest. I have no particular type of music that I add. sometimes i'll just pick a genre or band at random and see what I can do. I also rarely check the "Off The Wall" forum, because i forget it's here.

If anyone wants to help me get in the db, I connect to these bands: Attitude, Big D And The Kids Table, and Drug Test. There are a bunch more, but those are the only ones I can think of that may be able to connect.
···
scott
16 years ago
Apr 3, 2008 - 9:16pm
I'm keeping track of where all of you live so i can find you when i travel. So far, i have checked bgzimmer, ben_stumpf, and Kevin off the list.
···
bgzimmer
16 years ago
Apr 4, 2008 - 2:14pm
Ben Zimmer (another Ben), 36, living in Jersey City, NJ, working in NYC. The last year or two I've been editor for American dictionaries at Oxford University Press, but the week after next I'll be starting a new job, as executive producer of Visual Thesaurus and editor of their online magazine. Check out the very cool website:

[www.visualthesaurus.com]

Basically, they do for words what b2b does for bands. So it's ideal for me!

As for what I add... well, lately it's been a lot of R&B, used to be a lot of jazz. Glad to see Marvin Gaye is in, now on to Sam Cooke!
···
Jasoon
16 years ago
Apr 4, 2008 - 5:50pm
Jason (a rare non-Ben), 36. A Michigan boy currently in Florida and looking into possibly moving to SF. At the moment I'm in employment limbo. (Spare change?) No musical ability, but I'm a very good listener. Apart from trying to squeeze in bands that I like I mainly just stumble onto links. Most recently I found a way into Argentina and am still looking to (slowly) add more Argentine bands.
···
Bloopy
9 years ago
Oct 20, 2014 - 7:55am
Bump. I'm Paul, in Auckland, New Zealand. For comparison, in 2008 when this thread was started I was (d'oh!) 24, and I had just moved here from my home city of Wellington. During the week I play with software programming, databases and reports.

I mainly listen to metal, punk, hard rock, experimental/noise, and a bit of rap and pop. I'm mainly interested in connecting NZ bands when I see the chance, preferrably ones I listen to. NZ scenes tend to be connected in via a member (or whole band) that ventured out and participated overseas. It's not so easy to make connections between scenes within NZ.

I make experimental/noise music under the name Dead Kid Harvester and have been slowly working on a debut full-length album. If The Bandtoband Band needs erratic kitchen utensil percussion or unsettling atonal vocals, sign me up!
···
Mark
9 years ago
Oct 20, 2014 - 1:20pm
I'm still looking forward to the Bandtoband Band or the Bandtoband Convention. I've spent time with four B2Bers in person, and I've seen one on TV, but I am very far from completing the full collection.
···
Python
9 years ago
Oct 20, 2014 - 9:41pm
Anyone of you from NYC or Florida? I'm going to the States early December.
···
scott
9 years ago
Oct 27, 2014 - 2:13pm
Since my last post in this thread, I've had three more kids and met Mark in person as well.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005