Young

Python · 4 replies

Young
Python
18 years ago
Aug 19, 2005 - 12:51pm
Why are Neil Young, Glen Danzig and John Lennon not in the "latest additions" box? Is that intentional?
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Aug 19, 2005 - 7:54pm
Probably "latest additions" only lists bands, and they aren't listed there either.

That does bring up the question of whether an eponymous band really ought to be a "band" and an "artist" both, or just an "artist". I lean towards both, honestly.
Both
Mark
18 years ago
Aug 19, 2005 - 8:18pm
It was intentional to leave solo artists out of the Latest Additions box because we wanted the main focus to be on the bands. We think that the presence of the solo artists is already documented by their membership in the bands.

Python, I'm impressed that you monitor all of the additions, even when they don't appear on any of the lists. Have you been playing with the URLs and modifying the IDs for albums and artists? Is that how you knew I had added Lita Ford?

PK, search the tree on Neil Young and you'll see that we treat solo artists as both artists and bands. Or were you further suggesting that a band called Dokken or Bon Jovi should also be treated as an artist?
···
Python
18 years ago
Aug 19, 2005 - 9:30pm
Actually, I have played with the URL's before but Lita Ford was purely a coincidence. And well, so was Neil Young; I came to the site, saw Neil Young mentioned in the Latest Additions box and the next minute he was gone again :)
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Aug 20, 2005 - 6:30am
No, I wasn't uggesting "Bands" are "artists".

I mentioned what I did because Kevin had previously said solo artists (as "bands") would not be listed in the "Bands" section under "View Data". Obviously they're already "Bands" in the sense of how the tree links work; I was referring to whether they should be "bands" in terms of View Data and Latest Additions, and I think they probably should be, because a solo artist band is still a band. I am trying to make them be treated just like all other bands (as I feel they should be) and not as some form of second-class citizen.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005