Forums / General Discussion / When is a collab not a collab?

When is a collab not a collab?

Matt Westwood · 2 replies

When is a collab not a collab?
Matt Westwood
17 years ago
Nov 8, 2006 - 6:07am
We have "Sit Down & Sing" by "Roy Bailey With Martin Simpson & John Kirkpatrick":
[www.bandtoband.com]

... and there's also: "Why Does It Have To Be Me?" by "Roy Bailey With Val Bailey, Sue Harris, John Kirkpatrick":
[www.roybailey.net]

Now the first of these has been entered as a collaboration, whereas the second is in the queue but has been questioned as being a solo album with guests.

The only difference between the two is the placement of the names on the second.

We need to make a decision as to how we treat this sort of release. If the placement of the names on the cover is all, then we have to decide where to draw the line between the one and the other.

Otherwise we make the blanket decision either that:
a) If the names appear on the front, whether "with" or not, it's a collab, or:
b) If it's "with", then it's always guests.

How do you rule on this?
···
scott
17 years ago
Nov 8, 2006 - 1:56pm
This was my doing.

I think the placement of the names is key. Check out the links Matt provided. With one, all the artists are listed together, with the title underneath.

For the other, one artist is listed on top, then the title, then "with..." down at the bottom in a smaller font.

I think this is an important distinction.
Tough One
Kevin
17 years ago
Nov 9, 2006 - 1:10am
I can definitely see both sides of the arguement on this one. I completely agree that:
[www.bandtoband.com]
is a 3 way collaboration as every name receives equal treatment on the cover and there's even the 3 people drawn in the artwork.

Neither of these treatments are given on the album in question which can definitely be interpreted in a couple of ways. The best solution in my opinion would be to see what is on the spine of the album because it says just Roy Bailey then we know for sure that the others are guests but if it lists them all (and it would be tough on the spine to shrink the names down to give them less significance) then we could go with the collaboration. Has anyone tried emailing the website and asking their take on it? It might be a good idea to go to the source.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005