Forums / General Discussion / Style of stage names...

Style of stage names...

misterpomp · 8 replies

Style of stage names...
misterpomp
18 years ago
Jul 20, 2005 - 7:24am
It feels a bit unhappy when you try and find the given name of an artist on the sleeve and the dB doesn't recognise it. Take Skid Rose of Love/Hate : you can find him by his real name or by 'Skid' but not by his name as per the album. I just think that the logic of 'He didn't change his surname so the stage name in the dB need only be the first name of his stage name' needs a revisit. As much as it seems like repetition; I think it does, always, need to be

Another example : Chris 'Krasher' King of The Grip looks like he is (or at least is indistinguishable from) someone called Chris King who plays under the name 'Krasher'; when in fact it was always Chris 'Krasher' King. Whether or not a hidden alias of 'Krasher' King for search purposes only would be good - I leave open for comment.
Re: Style
Mark
18 years ago
Jul 20, 2005 - 1:33pm
I think you have suggested the right approach. One of the big problems for us is that we don't have most of the albums you see in the tree, so we have to figure names out based on email submissions and web sites. I think small things like Dave/David, Mike/Michael can probably be left alone, but those you mention here are good ones. There are probably dozens that need to be fixed, so feel free to start submitting these to the Complete Shambles forum.
Stage Name
Kevin
18 years ago
Jul 23, 2005 - 2:41am
Here's my take on the naming issue: we include stage names or "appears as" when the album credits the artist with a name that is not his real or legal name. Brian Warner as Marilyn Manson or John Ritchie as Sid Vicious. That is a strict interpretation of the meaning "appears as" because that is indeed how the individual appears on the album. Any other possible combination of mixed name use is irrelevant and should not be included. So Chris 'Krasher' King should only appear as Chris King as 'Krasher' is no different than a middle name which is otherwise never included on the site. See the thread about including middle names of the guys in LA Guns (I don't remember the thread exactly).

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jul 23, 2005 - 6:45am
...Unless he's credited on the album as "Chris 'Krasher' King". If that's the case, then I think he should be listed that way.
Sorry if I didn't make that clear...
misterpomp
18 years ago
Jul 23, 2005 - 8:41am
that's exactly how he appears on the album. So I'm sure the usefulness, accuracy and completeness of the site is diminished if he is not listed as:

Chris King: Chris 'Krasher' King
Stage Names
Mark
18 years ago
Jul 27, 2005 - 1:11pm
Kevin and I have had a meeting in our top-secret underground command center and decided that we'll follow the Chris King: Chris 'Krasher' King approach.
Center
Kevin
18 years ago
Jul 27, 2005 - 6:11pm
A command center so secret in fact that I didn't even know about it.

K
···
Python
18 years ago
Jul 27, 2005 - 6:29pm
In that case, the correct stage name for Tracii Guns is Tracii "Guns" Ulrich on this album:
[bandtoband.com]
Command Center
Mark
18 years ago
Jul 27, 2005 - 7:37pm
Tracii is fixed.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005